Thursday, January 28, 2010

Why Blog?

First off, sorry I missed y'all last week. Like everyone else on the planet, there are just some weeks that are a little more out-of-control than others, and last week was definitely one of those times.

Glad to be back now, though.

Moving on...

As writers, we all know that saying something brilliant is really only half the battle. No pressure, but to be truly successful (and score those oh-so-coveted readers), we've gotta be savvy, too—especially when it comes to marketing, branding, promotion and the like...

While Facebook and Twitter is definitely one way of doing that (and great for the A-D-D creative types like yours truly), you still can't underestimate the power of your personal blog. But since keeping one going can seem like an arduous task on occasion, I wanted to offer a little encouragement on what it really does for you...

Instant Platform:
Every time I speak at a university, church and the like, people routinely ask me how they can "get his/her name out there." And while you're in the midst of hearing back from the magazines, websites, publishers you've queried lately, you can already be making a name for yourself by blogging. In most cases, it's free and relatively easy to set up, and bonus, you get to write about whatever you want. Whether it's the intricacies of your yarn collection, your favorite movies or your pets (and hey, I've even read an entire blog dedicated to Chapstick), you're the boss of what goes on your blog.

Google Me
Another great perk is that when a writer/editor/friend/neighbor/long, lost family member googles you, your blog is likely going to show up. So make sure it's updated frequently, and that can be a valuable way to get people reading your writing and provides a cyber footprint of sorts for when you're writing books, magazine articles, etc.

Branding
When you think about Target (besides the fact that I can't leave without buying something I wasn't really planning on), what do you immediate think of? Yes, the bullseye symbol. When you think of Starbucks, that mythical looking mermaid may pop into your head. All in all, those symbols make for great branding...and you want to do the same with your writing. Your voice is unique, and so is your perspective (or at least it should be), and you'll let the world know who you are and what you care about by posting on your blog. So that's something to consider when you decide what font to use, what title to give your blog, what you'll write about.

Whatever it is, it's a value-added commodity to whatever you're writing professionally with your books and otherwise.

Still not convinced that blogging is for you? Watch Julie & Julia with Meryl Streep and Amy Adams, and I'm guessing you'll get inspired. And if that's enough, take my word for it...it's a wonderful way of dialoguing with people and potential readers you'd probably never meet anywhere else. :)

4 comments:

  1. Yes! Julie & Julia is what really spurred me on to start blogging in the first place :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good one for that...I'll say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love blogging! I was blogging back in 2003 when I was thirteen. That was six years ago and I haven't stopped since. I've had many different blogs in the six years. My blog was originally personal but as I grew and developed as a writer, I branched out so my blogs are for general audiences now instead of just family and friends. :)

    My two cents,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good advice! And I LOVED Julie & Julia. Great movie!

    ReplyDelete