Monday, January 4, 2010

The Home Stretch


Here's the thing I've discovered:

When a novel starts very easily, it tends to end very easily. BUT - when I have trouble starting a novel, I usually have trouble ending it.

It's frustrating.

We've talked a lot on here about starting a novel, book or short story, but how do you end it? I'm facing a February 1st deadline and while I know exactly how this book is going to end, I'm just not too sure how to get there in a timely manner and without adding 10,000 more words to my final word count.

I've heard publishers aren't too fond of that.

So, I keep plodding away. I'm a write-as-I-go kind of a person, so there is very little planning involved in my novels (which might be why I face my current issue).

And here's the other problem - I am SO excited to finish this book, but I'm kind of sad too. It's the last in a series and that means I get to say goodbye to another group of characters who I have had a lot of fun writing about.

So maybe that's the reason for my stalling.

And my curiosity - how do you finish your WIPs? With shouts of joy? With DFPs (double fist pumps)? With the Miss Match series I finished each book with an ice cream sundae. Do you have any rituals you do?

Any I'm off to keep working. And maybe there's another ice cream sundae in the very near future.

Happy writing!

2 comments:

  1. I also have trouble with endings...and I'm a write-as-you-go person, too.

    I think it's just such an exhaustive process once you get to the end of the novel, especially if you've written chronologically. I run out of steam and need a little time away from the project before I can successfully write the ending.

    You want the end to have punch, just like the beginning, and that's a lot of pressure since you really truly want the end to deliver. Everyone reading has been spending so much time with these characters, and yet you're so exhausted at the same time...it's a struggle, that's for sure.

    But the thing I always try and remember is that I can do it...I've made it this far, and the end will come...and yeah, some form of chocolate makes the celebrating worthwhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tradition!! I'm so gonna celebrate with you ;)

    ReplyDelete