Friday, January 22, 2010

What you can do NOW to market your writing

There’s so much information out there about what you should and shouldn’t do before you sign a contract. But how many of these ideas really work? What’s absolutely necessary and what can be left by the wayside? Here are a few pre-publication must-dos as well as several suggestions:

Must Do #1: Buy your domain name

I bought cjdarlington.com years before I ever needed it. I wasn’t risking it not being available when I wanted a website. Because there are people who buy up multiple domains in the hopes of selling them to you later for a much higher price, it’s a good idea to buy your domain name now, if you can.

Suggestion #1: Start your website or blog now

I started blogging in 2006, three years before I ever saw publication. Having a blog gave me an excuse to get my words out there for others to read, and it was great practice. Most publishers recommend their authors start blogging as a way to garner interest in their books. Search for “how to start a blog” on Google, and you’ll find several very easy ways. I use Blogger.com, others swear by WordPress.

Must Do #2: Be Professional

During this pre-publication time remember that sooner or later publishing professionals will read what you post. Whether in blog comments or your own blog posts, it’s imperitive to keep your tone professional. You do not want to be flaming people or speaking negative of anyone. No exceptions. I don’t care what you think about someone or what the other guy/gal did to you. And you might consider leaving the posts about controversial topics to someone else too. Unless you’re really feeling led to write about a controvery, it could get you into trouble later if you’re not careful. It’s easy to tarnish a reputation, but difficult to restore it.

Suggestion #2: Get a Facebook page and start Twittering

Many successful writers have managed to get by without FB and Twitter. But why not give yourself a leg up? Will being involved in social media make or break you? Probably not. If you write a terrific book an editor isn’t going to reject you because you’re not Twittering. But what if that editor saw your pithy comments on Twitter and checked out your clever blog as a result and then clicked on your sample chapter link, liked what he/she saw and asked you for more? You never can tell, and I don’t know about you, but I want to be doing everything I can to positively promote myself.

Warning: If you’re easily addicted to video games and the like, be warned. Social media is addictive. I haven’t completely mastered it myself, but I know I must. So enter with caution. They don’t call it Twitter (away your time) for nothing. But, social media can also be a lot of fun, and you can meet some really cool people.

Must Do #3: Write

There’s only so much time in the day, especially if you’re like me and have a day job besides your writing. So while social media and pre-pub publicity is important, it’s not as important as your actual writing time.

5 comments:

  1. Great list! I always wondered if I was being too professional with my blog. I feel very encouraged!!!

    -Alisa Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, C.J.! Thanks for all of the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks CJ. These are all great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for all of the tips! I will be looking out for more on here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic advice from someone in the know. Thanks, CJ! Btw, I've read the first five chapters so far of "Thicker Than Blood" and I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete