Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The dreaded "W" word.

Wait.

The mere word brings terror to the soul, does it not?

Why is waiting so hard? Some say its because we live in a "microwave" generation, and are spoiled and accustomed to having everything immediately. That's partly true, but I think in some cases, its more of a concern you wanting to relieve. Or a hope you are wanting to come true so you can move on.

My family is waiting and hoping for several things right now. We're waiting and hoping for my mother-in-law to take a significant step to recovery, and get out of the nursing home we moved her in the other week and into her own apartment or house where she can be self-sufficient and enjoy life again. Heck, even TALK again would be a huge blessing. God can easily do that, but so far He hasn't. So we wait. And we hope.

My husband was laid off as many of you know from a local fire department because of irresponsible city budget cuts. So we're waiting to hear back from the other departments he has interview with, and hoping a job comes up soon so we don't have to start paying bills with a credit card or something else equally desperate. (yikes!) We have a lot of leads, but nothing official. So we wait. And we hope.

I think the hardest part about waiting is what to do in the meantime. Do you trust God will provide and keep living like everything is okay? Do you take a minimum wage job to try to supplement even a quarter of what you were making? Do you give up hope or keep it? Do you pray harder or less? What do you DO?

The same quesitons apply to our writing. Sometimes the hardest part is when the manuscript you've slaved over is mailed off. You shut the lid on the mailbox and....now what? Do you start another book? Do you wait until you hear if the publisher/agent likes this one? Do you write creative short stories to keep the juices flowing without committing to another full length novel until you know if you suck? These are the questions that linger!

What do you think the answers are?

Regarding writing, I think its important to keep writing. Take a few days to do something fun to celebrate the send-off of your "baby", but then get back to it. Writing is a discipline of sorts and if you lose momentum, its hard to get it back. Do what works best for you, but try to keep writing as you wait. (and tell yourself you don't suck!)

I'm waiting to hear back about book stuff right now, too, and am in limbo. Do I continue with a new pitch proposal in case I get "bad" news? Do I keep working on the story I'm waiting to hear back about with the hopes they want to see a full? Do I hide under the covers until all my personal problems go away and I can focus?

As much as I love sleep and my bed, I know the answer to that last one is a resounding NO. Hiding and worry accomplishes NOTHING. But prayer and hope and faith can move mountains. We've all got a mountain of some proportion in our way. Will you join me today in rolling up our sleeves and pushing? Toss those covers back and get to work, on whatever your project might be. I'll be doing the same.

And keep praying and hoping!!

6 comments:

  1. I think I have been "waiting" to start actively seeking out a Christian writing career until I feel like it is "safe" and "sure" to pursue it. (Don't know if that makes any sense...)

    I have been feeling led to get into Christian non-fiction (I am not as creative as you with that fiction thing!), but I definitely have been held back for a long time by fear, of many things. I did recently, however, start blogging to just get those juices flowing, as you say.

    If you or anyone has any advice for me related to how to get started in Christian non-fiction writing (publisher suggestions, writing suggestions, anything...), please share! I feel like now is the time to step out in faith and get started, somehow.

    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Betsy! I really don't like waiting either, and yet, you are right - there seems to be quite a lot of it in the writing industry!

    Will continue to pray for your MIL and hubby, friend.

    Haelie, starting a blog is a GREAT way to begin getting your name out there - especially if you write non-fiction. Publishers love to see an established reader base. And hopefully, we'll get to address some of your questions in this upcoming week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Erynn, for your feedback. I will be looking forward to reading upcoming posts here.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. It is helpful on so many levels. Waiting can be excruciating but it can also be a time of growth and new beginnings. Thank you for reminding me of its importance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is some good stuff, girl...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this post today, Betsy. Limbo is never a fun place to be, especially for a planner like me who likes to know exactly what the next steps are. But I guess that's why they call it a leap of faith. Sometimes the next stair is missing, and you just have to jump, trusting God to help and make our feet catch hold. Hinds feet on high places.

    Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete