Friday, January 1, 2010

Make 2010 A Year of Big Dreams!

Someone recently asked me to share my advice to teens who aspire to write. I'd like to share the 4 tips I gave as my response here. Because now that 2010 is upon us, we need to keep on dreaming big. God's got great plans for you this year!

#1: You’re never too young for God to use you.
He often puts desires and dreams in our hearts when we’re young to guide us into our callings. Are you passionate about reading, books, and writing? Are you happiest when creating? Allow yourself to pursue those dreams. Chances are God’s given them to you for a purpose.

#2: Follow your heart
It’s easy to talk ourselves out of our dreams. But don’t let yourself, or your friends, or anyone. You have the desire for a reason. God’s got great plans for you!

#3: Bloom where you’re planted
There are always steps we can take right now. Don’t wait until you’re older to begin following your dream. You don’t have to go to college or take a million courses (though some choose that route). I personally learned best by reading other novels and books on the craft.

#4: Be flexible
If we had our way, our dreams would come true right now. But you know that Scripture in Jeremiah 29:11 that talks about God’s ways being higher than our ways? It’s so true. It took 14 very long years before my book was published, and I had to learn to trust God, even when I didn’t feel like it.

I’m glad now that I didn’t get published right away. If my dreams had come true the way I envisioned, it would’ve been a lot harder journey. Commit your life, and your writing to God, and he’ll make sure you get where you need to be at just the right time.

Never give up. It doesn’t matter if you’re seventeen or seventy. I know of many writers who didn’t see success in the publishing arena until they were over fifty. It’s never too late, and it’s always worth pursuing your dreams. Never stop learning.

I look forward to seeing what God brings about in this new year!

5 comments:

  1. I am not a teen, but thanks for posting these. Great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts for any age!

    And as far as #1 goes, it's also true that you're never too OLD for God to use you, either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice! I wish I'd been given it when I was a teen. I'd be so much further in my journey as a writer if I had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to come back and add, I followed your link on Facebook today to the ACFW website... It's a little overwhelming. I was surprised at how reasonable a membership is, but I'm still unclear on what all the benefits of joining would be. Could you explain it as someone who has experienced it? I'd really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christina---ACFW is a wonderful place to connect with other writers. It's a support system for those days when we just can't imagine writing another word. They have an e-mail "loop" (like a Yahoo Group) where thousands of writers chat about writing related topics and you can ask questions. They can be set to come as individual e-mails or as a daily digest. There are dozens and dozens of well published authors, and editors and agents, who make themselves available to help newer writers along.

    They also have an annual writing conference, and as a member you received discounts.

    Plus they also have local and regional chapters.

    Let me know if you have any other questions!

    ReplyDelete