Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Two more things...

A dear reader asked last week how she could best get started in non-fiction writing. BJ touched yesterday on how you must have a platform. That's so true, and I have a few additional suggestions!

1. Research and attend conferences, just as you would for fiction writing.

A great one to go to is ClasServices. http://www.classervices.com/ This is an amazing conference on both speaking and non fiction writing that is affordable and how I actually got my start. I attended this in Texas when I was about 18 and heard about the ACFW from a teacher leading a small group on fiction writing within the conference, famous author Gayle Roper. Invaluable!!

The great thing about that conference is they really help you determine your personality type and your strengths, as well as motivate you in a Christian-based way to get out there and shine for Christ with your gifts. They focus on speaking as well as writing, which is helpful because...

To be a successful writer in the non-fiction market, you not only need to have a blog and a platform and an audience, you need to be a speaker. This is intimidating but a necessary evil, even more so than for a fiction writer, because non-fiction writers will more than likely have the best results selling their books at speaking engagements. Your future publisher and agent will expect this of you, even if its on a small scale. You must be willing! Yes, you can be a non fiction writer without ever speaking, but your words won't get out there nearly as much. You won't be nearly as effective.

That said, once you know which direction your writing is going, you'll need to practice. Write "speeches" or lectures or inspirational messages and see if you could speak on a timely topic at your women's sunday school class fellowship or meeting. Start small and build your confidence and let God guide you from there. I posted on a similar topic about "getting out there" in regards to book signings and such today at another blog I participate in, CRAFTIE LADIES OF ROMANCE if you wanna hop over there for a little bit more about this topic.

2. Write write write, then submit.

If you don't get your work out there, it'll never happen for you, obviously. A great place to submit is Crosswalk.com I've written articles regularly for them for 5 years now. I started writing for their homeschool link, then their marriage link as a newlywed, then their parenting and women's faith links. They don't pay anything, but it's great exposure and promotion, and more importantly, the emails I've received from readers, letting me know how much God spoke to them through my article, is truly priceless. So go browse www.crosswalk.com and see if you'd be interested in writing. They always accept new authors and if you feel drawn to it, let me know and I can see about contacting my editor there on your behalf. I'd be happy to help. I really believe in their ministry!

So, those are my two tips for today. Don't assume conferences are for fiction writers only. Don't be afraid to get out there and try! And of course, as always, write write write. =)

3 comments:

  1. I mostly write fiction, but I still gleaned some valuable information from this post :) I've never been to a writers conference, but would love to attend one someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mia, you would love the ACFW conference every September! 2010 will be in Indianapolis! I believe 2011 is in St. Louis. Also the Mt. Hermon conference has a great reputation among Christian fiction writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy, Betsy, Betsy...your advice is invaluable!!! Thank you again for jumping in with those "two more things..."

    I will definitely be on the lookout to attend a conference! Thanks for the link!

    As far as the speaker thing, well, I'm pretty comfortable with that as it has been a large portion of my job for the past several years. (I am a nurse, but have been instructing other nurses and hospital staff on various things, most recently computer systems.)

    I also was the lead planner and kind of "Emcee" for a Spring Women's Event at the church we were attending in New Orleans last year. I enjoy leading people, especially women for some reason, but I do interact well with all types of people.

    Additionally, I really don't at all have a fear of speaking to various sizes of audiences (from 1 or 2 people to hundreds), though I definitely could use some brushing up. Those natural physical reactions still do come sometimes (like getting a splotchy chest occassionally or even sometimes a little bit of shake in the voice/hands). I suppose with more exposure to speaking about my true heart and soul (God) to various groups of people, those things will subside as they have in my professional speaking ventures.

    Oh, and as far as that "write, write, write, then submit" thing...thank you again so very much for the link!!! I think I came across that not long ago when researching Christian writing, but you just never know who to trust and what is worth your time, etc. I will definitely look into that, as well!!! (Oh, and about contacting your editor...I definitely feel drawn to it, so just let me know if I need to do anything as well before you do that. You can FB message me with any specifics, if necessary.)

    Now, I think I'll jump over there to Craftie Ladies of Romance and see what you had to say!

    ReplyDelete