Wednesday, January 18, 2012

No more writing?

What would you do if you couldn't write?

Not in the sense that writing didn't exist, or that you didn't want to or would rather choose a different hobby for the sake of an example - NO, I mean, what would you do if someone refused to LET you write? You couldn't as in, you were restrained. Not given the choice. Denied the chance or opportunity.

(I know some of us busy moms feel that way in theory but I mean on a deeper and more literal level.)

For example"

The other day my husband and I were talking about drugs and how it was so hard to understand how someone could get addicted to something so terrible. In my mind, I was especially thinking about meth and other super-hard-core drugs that destroy a woman's appearance in such a short time (premature aging, teeth yellowing or decay, wrinkles, leathery skin, baggy eyes, weight loss, vein protruding, etc.) How could someone want a high more than they could want to be a woman? Be attractive? Be inviting? How could anyone get so hooked on something that destroyed them and their quality of life and everyone they knew?

I've never done drugs so I can't put myself in their shoes. My husband, who knows people who have been on drugs before, tried to help me relate. "What is something you can't live without?"

I thought. "Um, diet coke?"

He snorted. "No. I mean, something you have to have, or you couldn't exist/function."

I thought again. Hmmm....

He then said, "What would you do if you couldn't write anymore? It's like that to them."

OHHHHHHHH.

So ultimately, what I'm asking, is how important is writing to you? What would YOU do if you couldn't write? How far would you be willing to go "left field" to get the chance to write?

Drug addicts use this mindset to a fault, obviously, as they do dangerous things to get their next fix - and I still can't truly relate to that level of addiction but can sympathetize and pray for them. You should too.

But in a way, we can use this analogy to help us get our booties up and 'em, right? What's stopping you from writing and what can you change to be able to provide a means for yourself to do so?

3 comments:

  1. I really don't know what's kept me from writing, lately (something sure has...). I think maybe it's a mixture of stress, pressure to succeed, and lack of inspiration/motivation. I think maybe I need a change of scenery or daily routine. I'm sure that would help.
    I've never really thought about it like this, though. What if I "couldn't" write? I've thought about what might happen if I just "stopped". Reading this post definitely makes feel me more appreciative of the ability that God has given me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I couldn't write I'd memorize the stories locked up inside. I guess that means I'd write anyway.

    First step for me is getting of this dog gone computer. ;) Though I'm glad I found you girls!

    Second step is to ignore the excuses including the voice that says it's dumb and no one will care and, and, and...just write cause my life is God's story anyway so with a little faith I can do what he calls me to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely right girls! Go for it! :) Ashley, that's awesome you're seeing how important it is not to take it for granted. That's a reminder we can ALL use. I understand about the stress, pressure to succeed and lack of inspiration. I've been in that boat lately and it is completely my own fault. Back in the saddle! Jessie, you're right - if you're writing ultimately for God's glory, would God tell you that your story is dumb and no one cares? Nope! That's allllll Satan. And my thought is if you're struggling with those lies, then that means this is one story the devil doesn't want you to write. And that should make you wanna write it all the more ;)

    ReplyDelete