Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Make Time for You


Writing might just be the loneliest hobby in the world.

I suppose that’s why creativity attracts introverts, but in my case, I’m likely to lose my mind if I spend too much time with the characters in my head.

That’s why I sit and write and wave at this kid:


After a while it gets old that she doesn’t wave back.

On days when I force myself to stay at the computer screen, the work gets done.

But I’m also discovering something I didn’t expect.

When I make time for me – which in my case means connecting with PEOPLE – the writing gets done 3x as fast. I’m not making that up. The creativity hits when I get home and it’s like the floodgate opens.

It’s all about balance, folks. You know yourself best. Do you need more time – or less time with those characters in your head?
****

Bekah Hamrick Martin was born in Savannah, Georgia, in an event her brother keeps reminding her was completely unnecessary. She spent the better part of her high school years vacationing on the North end of her mattress due to an illness, where she developed a deep taste for chocolate and sarcasm. Today Bekah writes and talks to teens about healing, tough times, and surviving their high school years – no matter where they spend them.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. I, too, am learning to find some balance in my life. I've tried all kinds of methods to writing stories... Just writing a little here and there never seemed to get the job done because I would quickly lose my feel for the story. On the other extreme, if I sat down and MADE myself do it, the story would suffer because I wasn't putting my heart in it. Recently, I've started trying to mix the two... I make it a point to write, but I try not to overdo it. If I hit a wall, I get up and take a break. So far, it's been working pretty well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley - It's good to know I'm not alone. I'm having trouble getting motivated this week, though -- I think I've swung too far the other way. :(

    ReplyDelete