Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Mount Hermon... A Magical Place

Mount Hermon Christian Writers’ Conference was something I planned to do… you know, after I moved to Hollywood, cast myself as Dolly Parton, and produced my debut film with Matthew McConaughey.

I’d read all about M.H. Most of the authors I admired/stalked got started in this magical place. And I thought, “How nice. Maybe some day after I (a) get a life (b) get a manuscript (c) get a shorter list of lame excuses… I’ll go.”

The truth was… I was terrified.

Then it happened. In a moment of what could only be described as extreme delusional insanity, I submitted an essay to Cec Murphey’s Mount Hermon scholarship competition.

The delusions continued when I learned I was one of the “winners”. This was better than a role in Hollywood, I thought. Plus, now I could skip the wig and implants.

Then I realized… I had to write a book proposal.

I’ll spare you the next several months of despair, gloom, and chocolate. Ultimately I did share my proposal with an agent beneath the beautiful canopy of California redwoods. Then I trudged back to my gorgeously furnished room, looked in the mirror, and saw the booger hanging out of my nose.

I wish I was making that part up.

The next part I am also not making up: I still do not live in Hollywood, do not look like Dolly Parton, and do not film with Matthew McConaughey. I do, however, have a contract with the agent I met at Mount Hermon – which only goes to prove that M.H. is, indeed, a magical place.

For more information about Mount Hermon Christian Writers' Conference, visit www.mounthermon.org/writers

B.J. Hamrick is a journalist, humorist, and the editorest of www.realteenfaith.com. She was in no way bribed or compensated for this post... Mount Hermon really is just that amazing.

4 comments:

  1. This is hilarious! lol I'm glad it worked out in the end =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congrats, BJ!! :) I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, thanks Betsy!

    Thanks Erynn! I didn't make it very clear that this happened a couple of years ago... apparently I need to work on my time-line.. sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, BJ! That's amazing! I'm so glad for you. Sorry about the thing hanging out of your nose, but at least you know your proposal must have been wonderful if she could look past that! Lol.

    ReplyDelete