Monday, March 8, 2010

From Past to Present


I like to imagine what Jane Austen, Louisa May Alcott and L.M. Montgomery's writing lives were like. There weren't computers - goodness, there weren't even typewriters. Everything was painstakingly written by hand. None of this "oh, I'll just crop that section and move it to the next chapter." They had to rewrite it.

By hand.

When you consider the length of the works that they produced, it really makes me very thankful for my MacBook. And very curious to see what their hands looked like. I would imagine that they had hand muscles that would make any masseuse jealous.

It's romantic to think about though, isn't it? One of those girls, writing away at a table underneath a huge oak tree, the sunlight filtering through the leaves, the cows mooing in the distance. I love to picture L.M. Montgomery like her best known character, Anne of Green Gables - fiery, passionate, madly in love with Gilbert even though she won't admit it to herself.

I know very little about L.M. Montomgery's life, but I don't want to and here's why: Jane Austen and Louisa May Alcott both died at a very young age, single and lonely.

I'd rather picture at least one of the great romance writers of their day getting a happily ever after.

In this day and age, an editor would mostly likely laugh at you if you handed in your book on 400 neatly handwritten pages. They would definitely lecture you if you didn't have a computer by which to receive their emails. And they would probably just stand and gape at you if you mentioned you didn't have a website or a blog.

Things have changed. No longer are the best writers crafting pages of intrigue with one of those awesome ink pens like in Pride and Prejudice - taking moments to get more ink and think a bit, but they're rarely looking away from their computer screen - even to glance out the window. No longer are novels considered a rare find - they are everywhere! And no longer is fiction a sweet reflection on life, it can be very weird and strange (hello? Did anyone see the previews for District 9? I rest my case).

So, as happy as I am that the life expectancy of novelists has risen dramatically and that a woman who writes is no longer considered too smart for marriage, there are days when I wish I could be writing on Prince Edward Island, surrounded by green hills, huge trees and tons of flowers. I'd think the inspiration would be incredible.

Which is why today I'm going to take a few cues from the great women writers of the past. I'm going to think before I write. I'm going to remember that the written word is something that lasts - and so write carefully. I'm going to craft my characters to be real people with real flaws - something that each of those women excelled at and one of the main reasons I think their books are still so loved today.

And I'm going to remember that God is the "Author and Perfecter of our faith" and trust that even as He is shaping my life for His glory, He is also who I want to glorify most when I shape the lives of my characters.

And maybe, just maybe, I might write a section or two by hand today. I can always transcribe it later!

What are some of your favorite authors from the past? And what are some tips you've learned from them?

7 comments:

  1. Anne of Green Gables is my FAVORITE. Writing on PEI sounds heavenly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great post, Erynn! I'm a huge Jane fan myself. =) I have always hated how they ended up single and lonely, too, it just doens't seem fair.

    I sometimes will scratch a scene by hand with a pen in a notebook, on occassion. I wrote some on my deadline that way, sitting in the ICU waiting room in the days after my mother in law's tragic horseback riding accident. I actually got some good scenes that way. And rarely I'll take my notebook to Barnes and Noble and sit and write by hand there. It can definitely cure writer's block, but I don't recommend it for regular, daily writing. We certainly don't have Jane's hand strength! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fan of all those authors as well! And it's great to see someone else loves Anne other than me. In L.M.Montgomery's case, she did get married =].
    I like writing by hand better, it's second nature, I still haven't gotten to the point that typing is second nature (even thought I type more than write). Writing by hand seems more personally and typing seems so dull. I like to hand write and then while typing into the computer I edit and catch many of my grammar mistakes that I wouldn't have caught if I typed then proof read. Even with this comment there are probably grammar mistakes I didn't catch but if I had hand wrote it I would have. =p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find when I handwrite something, I expound more on it than when I am typing. It flows easier when I am handwriting I think partly because of the environment. I am not hunched over a keyboard, if I am handwriting I am usually allowing more time for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those amazing ladies are three of my favorite "late great" authors of all time. Another is Grace Livingston Hill. If you haven't read her, you should check her out. She was a prolific writer, she has over 100 books to her name, and she lived a long, happy life, though certainly not without adversity. Two of my favorites of hers are "Marcia Schuyler" and "Crimson Roses." Nobody writes description like her, imo, and it's a shame that people no longer seem to have a need for writing like that.

    Btw, the second photo you posted is GORGEOUS! Who is it by?

    Fantastic post today, Erynn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ^^Christiana - that photo is a scene from Anne of Green Gables. Great movie. You should check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course! I can't believe I didn't recognize it. I thought it was a painting!

    Thanks, Emily! :o)

    ReplyDelete