Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dreaming vs Doing




I really liked what CJ said last week about dreaming, and I want to add a sort of Part Two to her excellent advice.

I've heard it said before, and you probably have as well - that if you don't do something different today, nothing will change tomorrow.

We all have dreams, right? Dreams about our families, dreams about the future, dreams about new polka dot shoes - wait, that's probably just me. lol And of course all writers have dreams about their writing careers.

I've realized over the last several years that while dreaming is important, it's not enough. Like CJ said, it's definitely half the battle. But once you have your dream in mind, then we have to take action to make our dreams come true. I'm not saying that it's up to us completely, because I firmly believe that God places dreams in our hearts and that He is willing and able to make them come true, for our good and for His glory...but we still have to be willing to do our part, to move forward in faith and not fear, and sometimes, get out of the way and let God work!

So how do we do that?

Well, I like lists.

Yep, that's me, remember, the organized plotter/planner? haha. Don't hate me, Erynn!! :::ducking:::

Seriously though, a list can really help you accomplish your goals. Do you find yourself making New Years resolutions and not following through after the first few weeks? Next time, try making a list and writing it where you see it every day, somewhere that you can't avoid reality and deal with it in true Scarlett O'Hara fashion "tomorrow". If your goals are staring you in the face via a sticky note on your bathroom mirror every morning, wouldn't you imagine you'd be more motivated to start checking the items off?



So get pro-active today, and I don't mean the zit cream. I mean, get busy. Get moving. Quit wallowing with a book in your hands, wishing you could write that way, wishing you could be famous like the author whose work you're holding, and get to your computer (or, if you're taking Erynn's advice from Monday, your feathertip pen and inkwell! hehe) and start WRITING. Start TRYING.

And don't stop there. Writing is the ultimate key, of course, but take our other advice you've been reading about for months now. Devour writing craft books. Plan to attend an upcoming conference. Update your blog and website to be as professional as you can and start blogging regularly and gain a readership that will follow you to publication. Join a book club at your local library or bookstore and meet other readers or authors who can relate with you and inspire you and give you a future "in" when you're published.

Sometimes, as authors and even just people in general, we just need the occasional good, solid kick in the booty. So, this is my foot, sweetly adorned in a red polka dotted pump, kicking you in your sweatpant-clad booty. GO FOR YOUR DREAMS!

And go now!

9 comments:

  1. Great post. I think writing it down makes such a huge difference. Every now and then, I'll run across an old list of goals and realize that I've met more of them than I had even realized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kick in the booty LOL! I needed this. I really need to get serious with my writing. I have a lot of other things going on with my health but I plan to get back to writing as soon as things settle down. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction. I love lists! I live by lists! I make lists of my lists (and write about organization). Don't hate me (I'm sure I'm not as creative as some of you other gals).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! :) Well, I must say that I DO NOT hate you! Jealous of you? Um...yes. Sheesh, girl, you need to come to my house and teach me how to get organized and all friendly toward lists. Even when I make lists, I usually forget where I put them! Thanks for the swift kick with those pretty Betsy shoes - I did need one today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm....polka dot shoes.....now I'm dreaming, too.

    Thanks for the encouragement to move beyond our dreams into action.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the feedback, guys! =) Glad you enjoyed the post. Organization is a discipline, I think, and comes more naturally to some than others. I learned discipline early on, having a history in homeschooling, and I think that really helped me develop the work ethic I have today. But sometimes, trust me, its to a fault!!!! lol No one feel guilty. We all do this thing called Writing in our own way. I'm just sharing what works for me. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Besty! Great post. It was just exactly what I needed. Thanks so much for the kick in the pants!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch! I felt that kick from thosse cute polka-dot shoes! ;)

    Thanks for the much-needed spur! Have gotten off track with the busyness of life these past few weeks, but I really need to get back in the swing again.

    Thanks again! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete