Saturday, March 13, 2010

Do you have a Prince Caspian spirit?

It's no secret the main goal of many writers is to have their novels published. But as we progress on our writing journeys, it's good to pause and ask ourselves, "Am I really ready to be published?"

A couple years ago I answered, "Yes, of course I'm ready. I've been been learning non-stop for twelve years. I'm more than ready!"

But as I got to thinking about this, a change came over me. I think it was the Lord tempering my zeal (in a good way). And believe it or not, I thought of Prince Caspian.

Remember in the book (and movie) where Aslan asks him if he's ready to be King of Narnia? His response was hesitation. He wasn't sure if he was. And Aslan said, in effect, "If you had said you were, it would have proven you weren't."

I realized that by admitting my uncertainties of being a published novelist I was actually in a better place than if I'd been cocky and sure. Granted, it's okay to have confidence. But is my heart in the right place? Am I clothing myself with humility and a teachable spirit? I hope my answer will always be yes to that question.

And here right now is another example of the power of story. C.S. Lewis penned Prince Caspian fifty years ago, before computers, the internet, Twitter, Blogger, and the like. And here I am writing about learning from his book.

5 comments:

  1. Love the analogy! Great reminders, too, to make sure my heart and attitude are in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You already know how I feel about this, CJ! :) So glad you posted this reminder. It's absolutely true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! It's good to hear for an unpublished writer too. Maybe a good idea to not be in such a hurry to get published and make sure to have the right attitude in the process. I like how you use the word "spirit" for this. I needed to hear this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a remarkable insight! I love it. C.S. certainly knew what he was talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great analogy. I heart Prince Caspian! A valiant, flawed character if there ever was one.

    As for writing, I know I'm not ready, though I've spent a lifetime at this. But I feel like I'm getting closer every day. I'm ready to start breaking into small presses with articles, short stories, and poetry, it's just getting my work submitted that's the hard part. I tend to cling to my work, for fear of failure, when what I really need to be doing is setting it free to fly or to fall on it's own merit. It's something I'm working on within myself.

    ReplyDelete