Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Let Those Cookies Cool

It was a dreadful accident... but I realized it one nanosecond too late. I'd just sent the e-mail that would change my life forever -- the one that said "hello"... without the "o".

"Hell!"

I tell you this somewhat crass and very incriminating story to illustrate a point: Spell-check doesn't always catch everything. Which means... we need to let our cookies cool.

My journalist-friend, Annette, told me this: "If you wouldn't pull fresh baked cookies out of the oven and bite in-- why send out writing when it's fresh?"

Because of my hellish e-mail, I agreed with Annette. Over the years I've learned a few tips for letting my writing cool:
  • Give pieces I'm submitting for publication at least 24 hours to cool, but not so long I lose interest.
  • Pick up the piece again when I'm not in a sarcastic mood.
  • Send it to a writer-friend for a second opinion if I'm really unsure.
  • Don't hit "send" until I know it's the absolute best I can do (no fair comparing myself to John Grisham, though, or I'd never send out anything).
As far as typos, apparently they can be forgiven. My church-friend who received the e-mail never said a word about it. Except I noticed her husband did preach a sermon about the torments of Hell the next Sunday...

****
What about you? Have you found a specific way to let your writing cool?
****
B.J. Hamrick is a journalist, humorist, and Real Teen Faith editorest.

5 comments:

  1. LOL, oops! I've made mistakes like that before :P And I've found it's best to let your writing 'cool' a bit before you show someone your work, also. Sometimes I'll write something, and think it's my greatest work... and then a week later, I'll reread it, and be like, yeah, this could use some work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, BJ! I was actually thinking about asking you guys if you always have someone read a piece before you submit it? I have my mom read things and feel childish. Is it normal to have someone else look at it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonya - very normal! I always have my mom and sister look at everything I submit before I send it in!

    And BJ, your post made me hungry for chocolate chip cookies. :) Awesome pointers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mia! I'm glad someone can relate!

    Tonya - Erynn's right -- that is normal. I have an editor-friend look over my stuff because my family's too nice about it. Depends on personalities!

    Erynn - Thanks, Girl! It made me hungry too now that you mention it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I am so guilty of this. I am so the girl who sends out an email attachment with my story (to my writer's group) followed by three emails with minor corrections that I didn't catch before I clicked SEND. Thanks for the cookie analogy. That's one I can relate to and remember for the future.

    ReplyDelete