Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Monkeying Around

My mom was watching my 19 month old today, as I started a new part time job. For the time being, I'll be working three days a week doing title work/abstracting for oil and gas leases. Thankfully, my mother can babysit for me that partial week so I can do my part to help our finances during this tough season in our lives. Prayers still appreciated! I'm just grateful that I can earn signifcant money doing this part time and still have four days a week with my Little Miss, and still have time to write. =)

The only issue with my mother babysitting is that for some reason, Little Miss decided a few months ago that she doesn't like her crib over there anymore. She officially hates it, and that's that. She refuses to nap in it or sleep overnight during an occasional slumber party, after a literal year of doing just that. Now she cries/screams as if she's scared of being alone, which is ridiculous because she's perfectly happy and content in her bed in her room here at our house. She only slept in our room for the first 2 months or so of her life, in a Pack N Play, while she was a tiny newborn. I guess its just different not being at Home.

Regardless, my mother and I decided we would kinda force her through it, because with her being there three days a week now, she needs to get into a good nap routine for all of our sake's.

So, my mom followed with the plan. Tucked her in, turned on the mobile, told her to have a good nap, and left the room, leaving the door open a crack. She said mass screaming occcured. She waited a few minutes, didn't cease. Went back in, gave her a hug, tucked her back in, etc. Rinse and repeat. Still, adament refusal to be alone.

My mom was just about to go in and try another time when suddenly, the guest room door opened, and Little Miss toddled out, still crying and red-cheeked, sputtering "Hi Nana! Hi Nana!"

We're still unsure how she managed to get out of her crib alone. She's never even tried to climb out before!! That, my friends, is what you call Sheer Determination.

My mom said that she burst into tears and hysterical laughter all at the same time as Little Miss came to find her. It was the sweetest, most pitiful thing she's ever seen in her life. I can just picture it!!! Then Little Miss pointed to the couch, so my mom gathered up Blankie and Gigi (the stuffed giraffe that might as well be Little Miss' third arm) and snuggled up and she fell sound asleep immediately. She finished her nap on the couch surrounded by pillows, and that was that.

And this is one Mama who is totally fine with saying "whatever works" and leaving it alone!

The rest of the evening I've been teasing Little Miss about being an escapee. Now we know that crib is officially through being an option, which was probably her goal all along. Oh well. It had a good run.

I can't help but laugh as I picture Little Miss monkey-ing her way out of the crib and onto the floor. She's fearless sometimes, which is definitely her Daddy in her! As much as I hate that the crib (at Nana's anyway, thankfully not here yet!) is officially bye-bye, I have to admire her drive.

Maybe we can apply that level of determination to our writing today. Are you feeling stuck? Trapped? Alone? All of the above? Then push through it. If Little Miss can find a way out, so can you!

Feeling lonely in this solitary writing venture? Hey, just shoot one of us an email and we'll wallow with you. I can guarantee you that whatever you are thinking/feeling/doubting/scared of, you are definitely not alone.

Maybe today you need to swing off the confines that are boxing you in and give yourself the emotional permission to go crying to your Father. Are you afraid of never getting that first contract? Scarred from a bad review? Frustrated that you write and write and seem to never get anywhere? Hurt from a negative comment from a critique partner? God understands your fears, concerns, doubts, and sorrows, and He's waiting with a soft blanket of comfort to wrap you up. Don't be afraid to go find Him.

5 comments:

  1. Gotta love Lil' Miss's determination! Definitely can learn from the raw willpower of children. Great post :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the precious thoughts and encouragements tied in with such and adorable and hilarious story!

    Praying for you and your family! I know what it's like to take a (2nd)job to help make ends meet due to the lay-off of your husband. God is so provisional!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet story - go Little Miss! :) So glad things are working out for you, Betsy! Still praying for you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! We tried letting our daughter "cry it out" for a while and she ended up crying so hard she threw up. Ew...Needless to say, after that, we didn't let her cry for TOO long before going in. LoL

    Prayer lifted up for you as you return to work. Probably not your first choice, but I'm sure having your mom as babysitter helps a tad.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute! I remember when my little ones learned to escape the crib. Brings back lots of memories.

    Thanks for the gentle reminder today, Betsy, that God is always waiting with open arms to pick us up and tuck us in when we need it.

    ReplyDelete