Monday, September 13, 2010

Taking Advantage of Breaks

Lately, I seem to have a partner with me whenever it's time for me to get some writing done.

As you can see, he tends to be better at spitting up on my laptop instead of actually helping. :) And because of this, my writing time has been pretty much nonexistent up until about a week ago.

Then I discovered that I can write, eat, email and clean up my house all at the same time. Or at least attempt to do all that. Sometimes the writing gets done, sometimes the house actually gets vacuumed (shock! awe!).

I'm one of those people who likes to complain about the lack of time that I have. "If only I had TWO extra hours! Just two - I could get SO MUCH done!"

But I've also been noticing lately that I do have time - I just don't take advantage of it. Naps are a good example - all together, I've got probably four or so hours of free time whenever the Nater Tot goes down for a nap. The question is how I use that free time. Facebooking? Cleaning? Making desserts that I don't need?

So, I'm making a resolution and I'm writing it here so you guys can help keep me accountable. I'm going to work on my writing every day - whether that means ten pages or ten sentences. And I'm going to do it before I do any cleaning, snacking or mindless internet wandering.

How about you guys? How do you (or do you not) take advantage of the writing time that you have?

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh prioritizing... way to pack a punch :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard, especially when you don't know what to write next. My biggest help is making lists & numbering what is most important, I make lists for everything or else it doesn't get done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, Erynn! I agree with Tonya as well... lists help me focus. Great post! And you are a talented multi-tasker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I will remind you every day!! (And take care of Nathan, too, should you need me to...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It definitely gets easier, girl. Hang in there. But you're on the right track. You have to learn to manaage the snippets of time you have. It takes awhile but you'll figure it out =) Multi-tasking is the best way for me. I like to try to do a little bit of everything so I feel more productive. Making a list of what you did AFTER the fact helps you feel better too. Makes you see how productive you really can be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack, Nathan is so cute!
    So's his mama.
    :)
    Yeah, I hear it can be a pretty fun and busy life with a baby. ;)

    ReplyDelete