Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Bare Naked Truth About the Christian Author

Tonya asked, "Do you ever feel uncomfortable telling people you are a Christian writer?"

Yes and no. I don't shy away from this question because I am ashamed of my faith, but frankly, because some people in the general market feel that writing for the Christian market must mean my work is substandard.

I'm not saying everyone believes the Christian market is substandard, but some people do. Part of the issue is because the Christian market is much smaller than the general market. But it's a complex issue; one that my writer friends hash out on an almost constant basis. (I personally think the ABA and CBA are both responsible for publishing their share of crappy authors... but then you find the gems like Erynn, CJ, Betsy, and Christa.)

So yes, I'm not afraid to admit I'm a Christian, but that doesn't mean I'll introduce myself as a "Christian writer". I don't want to be limited to one market or the other. Look at Debbie Macomber and John Grisham and you can see that good writing is still good writing... no matter which market you choose.

Now it's your turn -- what's your take on being a "Christian author"?

****
BJ loves being a Scribble Chick, and the author of The Bare Naked Truth About Love Blog.

5 comments:

  1. I agree BJ! I have a friend who kindof looks down on the fact that I read Christian fiction, every book I tell her about she asks " is it christian?" but what better way to show poeople who question the standards of writing then to put out good Christian work!
    I love chick-lit and in my opinion I like Christian chick-lit better because the characters always accomplish some sort of change. You don't always see that in secular books a lot of times they just end up the same as the
    begining of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, Tonya! Christian chick lit also shows a character's struggle with their sexuality and chemistry/tension between the guy character without having them actually jump in bed with all of them.

    Thanks for kudos, BJ. :)

    I feel the same. I used to say I write romance novels but there were actually a ton of people who quirked an eyebrow at that, thinking that meant I wrote heaving bosoms and flaxen haired men with 38 rippling abs. So now I say I write inspirational fiction. It's not such a narrow market to the eye as "christian fiction" but it very plainly shows them by that one word what I'm about. That seems to have brought the best feedback so far....

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some wonderful literary talents out there who are writing or who have written for the Christian market. Nicole Baart, for example, writes beautifully poetic books. As does Bethany Pierce. Karen Kingsbury is a wonderful storyteller with gripping plots. But I will admit that not all of the books in the Christian market are for me. Some of the writing is cheesy and preachy. I don't like reading novels about perfect people who do the work of Christ, I like reading novels about broken people who strive to know Him better because I think that's where a lot of people are at realistically with their lives. There are good things and bad things that come with every market, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for answering this question with your post and then asking us. It's nice to know there are others out there who struggle with this question in regards to their personal and spiritual lives.

    I am a Christian, but not a Christian writer.

    That said, my works all show integrity and a strong moral compass for my characters. Almost all of them mention God or faith in a way that is simply one more facet of my characters. However, I don't dwell on it because I think that narrows the field and can create poor writing just by virtue of trying to be a faith based book.

    I do write Christian works for regional newsletters and have contracted out to write an inspirational devotional. I've been pubbed in religious anthologies for adults.

    I am a writer who is a Christian. I love my faith and never fail to proclaim it. I just think it is hard enough to publish that pigeon-holing my writing as either secular or religious is one more stumbling block that I don't need. My faith is who I am, not the style I write.

    Does that make sense to anyone else?

    ~cat

    ReplyDelete