Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Standing Out

See the tall, gorgeous, light-haired, model-looking women on the left?

I'm not one of them.

No. I'm the one with the black hair. The short legs. The short arms. The short... everything.

I don't fit.

At least... not at first glance.

But I was chosen. Chosen to be a part of this family. My boy took one look at me, and he -- the tall, gorgeous, light-haired, model-looking boy -- picked me.

I used to conceal my differences. Not just on the outside... but on the inside.

I couldn’t let people know. I couldn’t tell them what I’d been through. I didn’t want to be judged.
I didn’t want to stand out.

So I wrote about trivial things. I shared about trivial experiences.

…I experienced trivial fulfillment.

Until I realized: I am chosen. In His greatness, my life-planner, dream-creator, pain-healer, and heart-fulfiller took one look at me – and picked me.

I am a part of His family. And even though my experiences look different on the outside, even though I will never be blonde-haired or blue-eyed, I am as much a part of this group as any genetic child.

My experiences stand out, yes. But there is a reason for that.

So… what about yours? What are you holding back?

What’s the one thing you can’t let people know?

What makes you afraid of being judged?

Afraid to stand out?

Your heart belongs here.

You were created different for a reason.

Now pick up your pen and fulfill it...

****
BJ Hamrick is a writer and the editor of Real Teen Faith.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, BJ. This is really beautiful. <3 Your writing is always deep even when you're being funny, you have a deeper message. A beautiful point you're bringing up.

    Thanks for always sharing your heart. It takes courage and guts to do that yet you continue to do that. Again and again.

    Love you girl,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. BJ, truly amazed to find myself reading something so poetic and touching. Your spirit shines through.

    Thanks for sharing~ cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. So inspiring, BJ! Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete