Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Heroes

Sometimes heroes are characters made up in books... sometimes they are made up of real life. Tell us about yours in the comments.

****

The world lost a hero today. He left the way most heroes do – quietly, quickly, and without much ado. He simply slipped off the scene.

At first glance, his hands didn’t look like a hero’s . They were scarred from labor on the engines of PT boat 327, engines so deafening he and the rest of the crew were only allowed below deck for 20 minutes at a time.

Then came the blast. On December 22, 1942, the engine roared loudly as shrapnel flew, narrowly missing the gas tank. The shrapnel, however, did not miss the hero. Soon the Purple Heart was placed right there – in those warring hands.

“I’m no hero,” he told me once. “I was just doing what all of us scared boys were doing – what we had to do.”

I knew differently. I could tell by his hands.

Those hands cradled me as a baby. Those hands brushed against mine in the Piggly Wiggly aisle when he gifted me with grape bubble gum. Those hands shaped wood into toys. Those hands scrawled long letters. Those hands squeezed my shoulder on my wedding day.

Those hands rested in mine a few weeks ago.

“They’re all worn out,” he told me, rubbing them against mine. “They’re no good anymore.”

It’s a fault he had, like all real heroes. He didn’t know how heroic he was, even in the midst of his heroic moments.

I was three states away on the day he died. He was surrounded by others who loved him, but I wish I could have been there too. I wish I could have kissed my hero’s bald head one more time. I wish I could have whispered to him how amazing he was.

He would have denied it. But I would have known the truth as he exited stage left, quietly, quickly, and without much ado…

To the place where all true heroes go.
****

Who's your hero?

4 comments:

  1. She was thirty-two and left behind four children and a hubby that adored her. I cleaned Her house every week during the hot summer months. Bringing my pine sol and Windex. I hated vacuuming their brown shaggy carpet, but I would do it for her again. It gave her pleasure to be able to wash her daughters hair. It reminded me how I take those small things for granted.

    I had to sit with her one time as she sat in the chair her skin dry, her legs swollen she would call out,"Lord, help me to be content."

    Who says that only a person who loves the Lord and has such confidence in him. She told me one time when I drove her to her mother's house that she wanted her husband to come to this doctor's appointment. It was a big one. I knew it bothered her, but she trusted the Lord.

    I was with her ten days before she died. She was a skeleton with skin on, but even through her dying she showed the love of Christ. A woman riddled with tumors she never lost her confidence. God was her rock.

    Her husband wasn't there on the major appointments, but he was there when it counted. When she went to be with the Lord. I'm sure that memory will be etched in his mind forever.

    She was never on the cover of People or Time. The world never knew her, but God knew her and took her home and said, "Well done good and faithful servant.

    Nichole is my heroine, and I miss my friend dearly. But, now her faith has become sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ladonna, That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us. You have a gift with words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BJ, I'm praying for you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tribute, BJ. A tribute worthy of a hero.

    ReplyDelete