Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Don't leave me hanging...

I've been reading through the book of Acts, and that book more than any other in the Bible leaves me with questions. Not deep, intellectual, rich, spiritual questions, but really silly ones that don't matter. But plague me.

It's the lack of detail. There are SO MANY amazing stories in Acts. I mean, just think of the time period - right after the Acension, right after Jesus was there and gone, right when faith was fresh. It's a time of true revival. The Church is starting and growing. Thousands are being saved. Miracles are around every corner. The apostles had the power to perform healings and cast out demons in Jesus' name. It's almost like a short time period of tangible faith - which is an oxymoron - but you know what I mean. Proof in its finest. Seriously, how could people NOT believe when there was so much going on then?

But back to my questions. Take, for example, Acts 8, when Philip ministered to the eunuch who was trying to read the Bible in his chariot, but couldn't understand the context. Philip hopped up beside him and led the guy to the Lord. Cool, huh? But no, it gets better. Suddenly, once the eunuch was baptized, POOF. Philip is gone! It says "Now when they had come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so the eunuch saw him no more, and he went on his way rejoicing."

BACK THE CHARIOT UP!!

I need more details. You know - you KNOW - there has to be more going on in that eunuch's mind. I can almost guarantee you he didn't pop up out of the water and not wonder where on earth Philip went. Did he really just wipe his face and carry on, rejoicing, without a single "oh my goodness?!" The man vanished in thin air! Was that just NORMAL then???

And what about Philip??? He was baptizing a guy, then POOF - he's in Azotus. I loved the way the Bible says "But Philip was found in Azotus." Hahaha. Who found him? Did he find himself? Did he wonder what happened? Did he think he was crazy and imagined the whole eunuch thing? Guess the Lord had a full schedule for Philip, no time for traditional traveling. That soul was saved, so, BAM - on to the next. Forget chariot rides and dust covered sandals, Philip got a holy limo service. But it had to freak him out. Or again, was that just NORMAL then???

Sigh. So many questions...

Here's an industry tip - it's okay for us to wonder about the detail gaps in the Bible. Sometimes I think God did that on purpose, to make us inquire and study and pray and be curious and creative. Plus, if He hadn't, the Bible would be taller than a house and impossible to carry. ;)

But in the world of publishing, don't leave the reader hanging. Readers (obviously, from my rant here!) want details. And you know what? So do editors and agents! If you're querying for the first time and writing your first synopsis, I know its tempting to leave the agent/editor hanging by asking the back cover questions, like "Will so and so find a way to weather the storms in their hearts and find true love at last?" But don't. Those type of hooks have their place...but in a synopsis (traditionally, a 3-5 page summary of your entire book) you must include details. Not what the heroine wore in scene five or how the hero smelled in scene nine, but a very thorough summary of every main point in your story. Don't be afraid to give away the ending and twists and turns here. It's what the editor/agent wants in order to see how the book is done and...ta da....contract it!

Any questions on synopsis'?

Or the book of Acts, for that matter? ha. Please tell me I'm not alone in my musings. I won't even get started on Acts 10, when they lowered Saul out a window and down a wall in the dark of night IN A BASKET.

7 comments:

  1. I love the book of Acts--always a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great illustration for your point. There are times for unanswered questions and others when detail is absolutely necessary. A hard lesson, but a good one.

    ~Cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it, girl!!! You think like me when you're reading the Bible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great way to make your point about synopsis.

    Like you, I don't like to be left hanging and enjoy analyzing a question. But, if we spend too much time obsessing about some of the details God chose not to include in His Word (including the story of Paul going over the wall in Acts 10), we could all end up becoming basket cases :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading Acts and I'm loving it, but i agree, more details would be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Bible can confuse the mess out of me at times, lol. For instance, Paul had me reeling with his marriage preferences. I thought he was degrading marriage by the way he talked about it, but my cousin told me he just didn't prefer it and that Paul was only saying it is better not to marry because you will be more integrated with God that way, but that God also invented marriage so it was still good. Yeah, that one had me thinking. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is off topic but I always read that writers should read the classics. Are there any successful writers that aren't in love withclassic literature? I have tried and have a hard tome getting into it. Do you have any advice in that area?

    ReplyDelete