Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Setting Goals


So I have this thing with sleep. We get along. Like Batman got along with Penguin.

We are not besties.

But every once in a while – when I’m really tired – sleep and I develop a closer relationship. Like Churchill and Hitler.

That’s when I know – it’s time to call in the allies.

So I do. In fact, I called them last night. The allies arrived in the form of a prescription pill strong enough to kill the neighborhood cat. (Not that I would have tested that…)

There are people who can lick this sleeping pill and sleep for four days. There are also people who can take two of these pills and sleep for only four hours.

I am in neither category. I am the person who can lick the pill and THINK I’m awake in four hours… only to later discover I’m actually somewhere on Interstate 95 in my pajamas in the car… only it’s not my car. Or my pajamas.

So last night, when I was “awake” four hours after taking the pill, I decided to walk into the living room. Actually, “walk” is probably a strong word. It was more like “entered as gracefully as a physical therapy patient after a stroke.”

Which is what I did, almost. Have a stroke. Because when I got to the living room I realized it was kind of warm. And I needed to turn on the ceiling fan.

I also realized that I was only 5’2’’ and needed to reach the fan. Natural conclusion: stand on the ataman.

Only… I forgot. The ataman has wheels.

So there I stood… one foot on the couch and one foot on the ataman. Actually, “stood” is probably another strong word. It was more like “vacillated like a politician during election year.”

I don’t remember what happened next. I only know I lived. And I told myself, like 1,000 times before, that I would never take another prescription sleeping pill.

Ever make promises like that to yourself? Ones you know you won’t be able to keep? Living without sleep for too long can make ya crazy. Trust me. I know.

But there are other promises that can make you crazier. Promises like:

• I will finish 300 million words on my work in progress by Friday. At 4 a.m.
• I will perform six background interviews for my W.I.P. Before yesterday.
• I will double my NanoWrimo goal to 100,000 words this year, and triple it to 300,000 next year.

Trying to fill your schedule with too much can leave you feeling incomplete and unfulfilled at the end of the day. Instead, try setting reasonable goals.

• I will write 2,000 words today.
• I will spend one hour on research.
• I will meet my nanowrimo goal for this year.

Wait a second… I did say reasonable, didn’t I? Scratch that last one. And also, scratch the whole no sleeping pills thing. Maybe I should set more reasonable goals for that one too. Like finding a giant tube of superglue to permanently attach myself to my sheets…
****

Question 4 2Day:

What reasonable goals will you or have you set for your writing?
****

B.J. Hamrick is a journalist, humorist, and Real Teen Faith Editorest.

5 comments:

  1. This made me laugh so hard my tummy hurt!

    My DH walks in his sleep so I can picture you perfectly in that half cognizant phase, perched precariously on your impromptu ladder. : )

    It's funny that in my line of work I help other people set goals, but I never seem to set my own. Except during NaNo.

    I should really give it a try.

    Best luck on your sleeping issue~ cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious!

    I just returned from a writer's conference, so my current goal is to polish my manuscript (based on all I learned) and send it to the agents and editors who requested it.

    And my new goal is a weekly writing goal - 5000 words, as opposed to a daily goal - because some days are crazy.

    Like today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post! your story made me smile. i love setting goals and making "to-do" lists, but I don't always complete them. I'd love to set a goal to at least write everyday, but since i'm still in school and writing isn't my job, often other things take top priority.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To finish both WIP. Have the fantasy one go to OWW for critique and the other I'll have to have a friend critique. I would like them polished and ready to send out early next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sleep, glorious sleep! I don't have your problem. I do have a sleep disorder but of the opposite kind. I can fall asleep at any moment. I sleep but don't get the restoration I need. So, I could sleep until the cows come home with no sleep walking or doing things half awake, only crazy vivid dreams to amuse me.

    This post was timely in that I just quit my full time job and plan to focus on my writing. This first week of unemployment I am struggling with reasonable goals and getting them down on paper.

    ReplyDelete