Monday, April 5, 2010

Spicing It Up!

I just put a roast in the CrockPot for dinner and it got me thinking: Writing is a lot like making a pot roast.

Now, before you dismiss me as the slightly food-obsessed pregnant woman (which might hold some truth), stick with me for a little bit.

I'm the type that buys meat when it goes on sale and just freezes it until I feel like making it for dinner. So, this is a frozen pot roast I just put in the CrockPot. It's got zero appeal factor for me right now - it's solid as a rock, it's raw meat and it's probably deadly to eat. But, give it about six to eight hours in the CrockPot and it cooks and steams and gets nice and tender.

I think our writing starts out like this. We come up with a killer idea - but it's in a very raw stage. It still needs time to marinate in our brains. I try my best not to brainstorm new ideas just because I've discovered that the ideas I have in the midst of everyday life are usually the best. They usually stem from something that's going on around me and they don't seem forced. If you are having a hard time coming up with new ideas, try to just step back and look at your life. What's happening around you? What is your family dealing with right now? Your friends? It's SO much easier starting from the "half-cooked" stage than the completely frozen stage!

Now, you could take this roast, put in the CrockPot, let it cook all day and eat it and it probably wouldn't taste too bad. It would be very bland, but it wouldn't be horrific. Just like taking an idea that you've thought about for a while and just writing it. You write it, it's done, it's nothing really special but it's fine for a Monday night dinner.

But wait - what if you'd added some garlic to that roast? Or onion powder? Or even something as basic as salt?

How do you add spice to your stories? How do you make the words come alive on the paper? How do you create characters that people remember and relate to?

Again, look at your life. Who is your best friend? What is he/she like? When you are drawn to a person, what's their personality traits? Writing that stems from things and people you feel strongly about leads to passionate writing. No more plain pot roast! We're adding chili powder to this one!

Anytime you are stuck in a story and just have nowhere to take it, look at your main character. Are they passionate about something? Are they excited about something? A character needs to feel the same emotions you feel in order for it to seem real.

So, here's a few questions for you to use when you're creating a new character!

* What is something that you hate?
* Who is someone you cannot stand to be around? Why?
* What does the word "love" meant to you?
* Imagine the best thing that ever happened to you. What were you feeling at the time? How was your stomach feeling at the time? Your head? Your hands? (This one is especially fun - think through an experience by going from the top of your head to the bottom of your feet. Example: When my husband proposed, I couldn't really think. My hands flew to my mouth, my chest got so tight I felt like I was wearing clothes that were a couple of sizes too small, my legs were shaking, etc.)
* If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be?

Now, turn this list to your character. People feel things - let your character feel things as well.

You are so much better at writing than serving just a plain pot roast - add some spice and watch how the personalities start to carry the story!

2 comments:

  1. I needed you last night... I made the blandest roast ever. It was disgusting.

    Let's hope that doesn't carry over to my writing this week...

    ReplyDelete