Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Secret World of Editing

I just finished some revisions for my upcoming Christmas novella (October 2010 as part of a Steeple Hill compilation book) and realized we haven't talked much about edits on Scribble Chicks.

I wish there were some things about edits I'd known BEFORE I got published, rather than having to discover while in the sometimes heated mix of things.

So, here's some free information on the topic (although on second thought, cash, checks or VISA donations of appreciation are accepted...) =P

Tip #1: Handwriting.

Did you know that you have to be a handwriting analyst to be an author? It's true. Editors are like doctors when it comes to handwriting. (This is a broad statement for humor's sake, and I'm sure there are exceptions, but it's pretty accurate!) When I received my first line edits from my awesome editor, it took me days to read certain margin-scribbles. Part of that was because of the low-grade print job, which happens. I felt SO dumb. How could I email my editor and say "uh, excuse me...I can't read your writing. I'm so sorry. What do you want me to do on page 86?" But you know what? They'd rather you do that than be late on your deadline. Just sayin'...

Tip #2: You gotta fight...for your right...to write...

Not really. But sort of. See, there's a secret in the world of editing, one I'm still learning because it doesn't come naturally to me. But line edits (or even revisions) are NOT the final straw-last say-end of the matter-no arguments type of edits. YOU, as the author, still get an opinion. You can ::gasp:: argue your point! No, you really can! You need to do it in a professional manner and be clear as to why you disagree with your editor - because, face it, they DO know more than you do, its their job to! - but sometimes, you might win and get to keep what you want to keep. If you don't try, then you'll lose. Of course, when it comes down to it, the editor gets the final say and your goal should NOT be to be known as high maintenance or difficult to work with, but if it's important to you, speak up. It's really okay to do that.

Tip #3: Wait, wait, wait.

I've gotten line edits before that literally made me feel sick. The "toss the papers across the counter, crawl under the bed covers, and grieve the day I ever chose this profession" kind of sick. The kind of edits that make me whine and groan that I'm the worst writer in the world, and all the editors at my publishing house were gathered around a table, giggling and snickering and laughing at my pathetic attempts at prose. (Seriously, I have NO IDEA where my daughter gets her drama queen tendencies from. None at all.) Then, a few days later, I picked up the line edits agian, re-read them, and thought...okay...I see their point here. And here. And oh yeah, I guess here too. There were still points I wanted to argue (see Tip #2) but basically, a little bit of time away showed me that once again, my editor is a genius, and I'm still learning. So give yourself some space from the emotion of it and eat chocolate and vent to your friends until you can see around your dark glasses of contempt. (However, be aware of the time, because you don't want to wait TOO long and miss your deadline! Yikes.)

So there you have it. Freebies! If you can learn these tips now, then you'll be that much more prepared when your publication moment arrives and can know what to expect - and be that much better of an author for your editor to praise. =)

Do what I say, not what I do.... j/k.

Sort of. lol

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. There isn't much talk of edits out there, and I'm really nervous to go through it for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tips! Thanks for sharing your insights.

    While I usually frown on plugging my own stuff on someone else's blog (or the reverse!), I just want to let you know about 2 FREE webinars for authors that will be held tomorrow afternoon. The first is entitled "From the Editor's Desk" and details some of the things that editors look for in a manuscript (besides a good story or a great non-fiction idea). The second is entitled "Before You Write: Plan!" and is more for non-fiction writers, but I'm sure there will be some helpful tips for fiction writers as well. All the details are on my blog: www.momishome2.blogspot.com.

    Hope to "see" y'all there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gotten several really good edit letters and one really, really detailed one that made me want to EXPIRE right there in my computer chair.But after the rewrites, that manuscript is way better!

    I love my editors, all three of them, at Heartsong.

    Thanks for sharing your editing tips. I'm glad my edits come via computer...the handwriting analysis might do me in.

    ReplyDelete