Friday, December 18, 2009

You Have A Novel . . . Now What?

I remember the day I sent my first book length manuscript out into the world. I celebrated with a run to my local bookstore (where I picked up three novels), then ended up sitting in a comfy chair at Starbucks sipping a cappuccino.

I had mixed emotions. I was elated to have completed the project I'd been working on for years. But I also felt sad, like I was saying goodbye to the characters I'd known for so long. I knew they weren't lost forever, and I also knew they weren't real, but still . . .

Fast forward a couple years. That manuscript was rejected left and right, but four years after I sent it out into the world it was finally published. And you know what? I'm glad it took that long for it to find it's home. Yes, you read that right. I'm glad I wasn't published right away. Because during those four years I wrote my next novel, without the pressure of a contract deadline.

My number one piece of advice for all aspiring writers holding a complete manuscript in their hands . . . is definitely start submitting. But then get started on your next book. You don't want to be a one trick pony, right?

1 comment:

  1. Great advice, and very true. Keep projects going, so that if you do receive a rejection, you're already ready to try again with book number two, or four, or thirteen. Whatever it takes. Don't give up!!

    ReplyDelete