Monday, December 28, 2009

Getting Back Into The Groove


Christmas is my favorite time of the whole year. So it is not surprising that it is AWFULLY hard to make myself do any work over the Christmas break. And it's even worse because my husband is home for the two weeks around Christmas since schools have it off.

Motivation level is around a negative six right now.

How do you guys get back into a writing routine after being off for a little bit?

For me, sometimes just sheer bull-doggedness is what keeps me going. I clear my schedule, send my husband somewhere so I've got the house to myself and turn off the TV. I make something hot to drink and gather everything I might need for the next couple of hours so I don't have the excuse of getting up.

Then comes the hard part.

Re-reading the last few chapters gets me back into the character's lives and voices. Also, even though I hate proposals with a passion, they are convenient to refer to when I need a plot refresher. If you haven't written a proposal for your current work in progress, be sure to keep a notebook with a few notes on where the plot is headed when you leave off so you don't forget key elements.

The most important thing? Just start writing.

I hope you all had a very merry Christmas! And I'm so excited for this wonderful New Year to start! Just think of the possibilities of a brand new year - maybe publication? ;)

2 comments:

  1. I'm like you, Erynn. I need peace and quiet in order to get back in the groove. Wow... kids are going to make life interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've been struggling with getting back into the groove, too! Fortunately, things seem to slowly be shifting back to normal today. :)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete