Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Breaking through...

Lately, I've been sort of stuck on a WIP.

I chalked it up to the holiday season, to needing a break, even to hormones. I prayed about my lack of motivation and my struggle with the story - this was the story of my heart, yet the words were NOT coming. I doubted all sorts of things, and asked my grandmother to pray that I would be sensitive to God's prompting and not force the story if the timing wasn't right.

(do you have someone in life that you go to for prayer requests like that? I know God hears all His children but it seems like when my grandma prays, things happen faster. lol)

I indulged in some holiday fun time over Thanksgiving and took a much needed break, then finally, yesterday, I sat down to work for the first time in almost a week. I prayed before writing, as I usually do, but this time, even I could hear the desperation in my voice. I needed this story to be my best, and in admitting that, I realized that I was putting a lot of pressure on myself that didn't belong there. This story isn't ultimately in my control - it's up to God what happens with it. I don't want to "do my best and let Him handle the rest" - I want Him in every step along the way, forming my best.

Because to be honest, my best alone is pretty bad. But my best with Him...now that knows no limits.

So, feeling a little freer than before, I incorporated changes from a critique a friend had done the other day, and that forced me to re-read and really think about the chapter. I ended up skimming other segments of the story as well, and suddenly...

Breakthrough.

A new plot twist fell into place, and when I examined it from every angle, it was like a missing puzzle piece. It added layers and depth I couldn't have otherwise created, and really amped up the conflict between the hero and heroine and gave the heroine more motivation for her actions, which was sorely needed.

I emailed my two crit buds and one of them called me immediately. I asked if I was crazy for even considering such a change to the story, especially with my current timing (long story there), and she just sat in stunned silence before exclaiming "Why didn't we think of this sooner??"

Now, I'm motivated! Now, the words are flowing! Now, I have a vision for this story that is so dearly important to me!

All that to say, next time you're feeling a little stuck - don't give up. Sometimes God might want us to put a story aside for days or even months/years, and you should of course be sensitive to His prompting. But sometimes, it might be that you just need a little intercession from a godly grandma and a heap of encouragement from a crazy crit partner.

And a few heartfelt moments spent with the Author and Finisher of our faith.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this today, Betsy. It really inspired me and reminded me that it's not all up to me. Sometimes I forget that in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, so thank you again for the reminder. :)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminders! Just what I needed to hear. I feel awkward saying this here to a bunch of people I don't know, but I need a non-fiction critique buddy. Just tossing it out in case anyone else in cyberspace is looking for the same!
    ~ Bethany L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying while writing is a great idea, and one that I often overlook. I'm glad you found the breakthrough you needed, and I can wait to see the story take shape! Yay for breakthrough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing how God touches the author's heart while helping craft a story to touch the hearts of others. He is so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post today really hit home with me. I had started out so strong on my current WIP, but the last few days the inspiration has just fizzled and it's been like slogging through mud to get words down on the page. I realized as I read your post that when I began this a few weeks ago, I had prayed over it and felt God's blessing on the subject. But after that, I just stopped praying for some reason. I'm going to make a concious effort to pray every time I sit down to write this story, and make sure that He and I are doing this together, instead of me just checking back in with Him on occasion.

    Thanks so much, Betsy! I feel jazzed to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bethany, I'm not a non-fiction writer, but I'm sure there must be some that check in here from time to time. I hope you find a critique partner!

    ReplyDelete