Thursday, December 3, 2009

Putting the "Social" Back in Social Networking

I've got sunny California on my mind, and that's because I'm heading to L.A. tomorrow for a movie junket. Before you get too jealous, however, (ha ha) I must disclose that it's a movie junket for Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel.

But hey, a writing assignment is still a writing assignment even if singing chipmunks are involved, right? And when warm weather in California is part of the perks package along with the paycheck, which is absolute bliss for a Minnesota girl like myself, well, I don't care what movie I'm writing about.

Even if they're butchering Beyoncé's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)," a song I don't care for much without all the squeaky delivery.

Getting ready for a trip is always a fun challenge when you're on deadline...or in my case, several deadlines today. But like oh-so-many days in the life of a freelance writer who also moonlights as an author, a good chunk of my day is spent in the social networking sphere. Yes, that's a just a fancy way of saying that I'm tweeting. Or Facebooking. Or MySpacing. Or all three.

For me, this is the trickiest part of my schedule to manage because you have to do it (after all, a great deal of being a successful author is all about the marketing and networking, right?) but still, you can't exactly measure it's value. Basically, I don't know if my tweets are making a twinge of difference at getting the word out about my work or the building of my brand (an idea that's still feels a bit pretentious if I'm honest), yet I know it still plays an important part somehow...

So I guess instead of giving advice or offering my proverbial .02 on writing, authoring and the like today, I'm asking for yours. As a writer, published or otherwise, how do you fit social networking in your day, and what do you believe its value is? You know, other than being an technologically savvy excuse for procrastinating on the writing of my next novel?

Ok, with that question hanging in the air...I'm back to my regularly scheduled packing...see ya next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment