Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Q & A

Well, guys, I hate to "take the easy way out" for my post, but Little Miss and I have both been under the weather this week, and now my grandfather is in ICU for having an emergency double bypass last night. We're appreciate prayers for his full healing. I gave my info on his situation on my blog at www.betsy-ann.blogspot.com

So you can see how my brain isn't in deep-thinking mode today! However, I would like to offer the chance for our readers to ask questions. We started this blog with a lot of questions, and they've phased out, so if you have anything new you'd like to us, please go for it! Just ask in the comment section here and us Scribble Chicks will answer as we can during the day. =)

And hey, if you stump us - free books for life. J/k! haha. ;)

Or if you don't have questions but would just like to share where you are with your writing and glean some encouragement or sympathy, well that's great too. Have at it!

3 comments:

  1. OK - I'll de-lurk to ask. I'm a VERY new writer. I'm taking a class through the Christian Writer's Guild and plan on attending my first writer's conference in May. I've written a novel (which will be undergoing serious renovations after I finish my class)! So, that's where I am in my writing.

    I would love to see some posts on finding agents, editors, etc. Should you have an agent? How do you get one? What do you do first? Maybe something along the lines of "you've written your masterpiece - now what!?" as well as any and all advice for the newbie on what it really takes to get published.

    BTW - I loved your posts a few weeks back on books you recommended (both fiction and on writing) and am working my way through the list. Thanks for introducing me to a few authors I'd somehow failed to meet!

    Thanks for the blog! I check in here every couple of days for the encouragement and advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynn!! We are so glad you are enjoying your blog =) I think your suggestion of a "now what" post is a fabulous idea. I'll get with the other Chicks and we'll compose something for hopefully next week. Thanks for the suggestion. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy, I'm sorry that you and Lil Miss aren't feeling well this week, and that you're grandfather is going through some health issues. My thoughts and prayers are with you this week.

    I am, however, grateful for the Q and A! I'd been hoping you girls would do another one. I've been dying to ask you all how you go about researching your character's backgrounds, with particular emphasis on occupations.

    I think that the kind of job you hold says a lot about a person, but if you've only had a handful of jobs in your life (and most of those not very interesting), how do you choose an occupation for your characters and write in a way that sounds authentic and believable?

    For instance, I thought you did a great job with Gracie working with penguins. It sounds to me like you must have worked in that field yourself before Lil Miss came along. One of the reasons I decided to buy the book (the other being that I like to support writers that I come to know on a more personal level) was because of Gracie's unique profession. It piqued my interest because it was something out of the ordinary.

    So how do you ladies go about researching the occupations and background info on your characters? I'd love to hear your inside tips and tricks. ;o)

    ReplyDelete