Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Rejection and Dying Roadkill Syndrome

A while back I was hanging out with some kids. They wanted to watch Bambi (insert gag reflex) and after much begging (my begging them not to) I finally agreed.

Everything was OK until we reached the scene where Bambi's mom died and one of the little boys started to cry.

"Don't worry," his older sister comforted him, "Maybe Bambi will get a step-mother."

I love the way children think. They're so resilient. Bambi's mom is dead? No big deal. We'll find a replacement.

Me? I'm not so optimistic. Of course, I am the girl who strung herself over the sofa this week and moaned like a piece of dying roadkill because my ear hurt. I was convinced I was drawing my final breath.

Turns out I had a simple case of strep throat. (Throat? Ear? I think my pain receptors were a little confused.)

Much to my surprise, the strep throat did not kill me. This little fact may clue you into the fact that I'm not an optimist.

What about you?

  • Do you find it difficult to feel positive about your writing?
  • Do you experience fears and doubts that your words will ever accomplish anything?
  • Do you store manuscripts on your computer in hopes that one day it will crash and you won't have to send out your work?

Are you like me? Are you a non-optimist?

I have good news for you: optimism can be developed.

And it must be developed. Because in the publishing world, optimism is like oxygen. You need it to survive. Otherwise you will curl up and die.

Eventually, you will lie on your couch and moan like a piece of injured roadkill. It will happen. Rejection will hurt.

Get up off the couch.

You are not drawing your final breath.

You are not dying.

Your manuscript is only a little sick. Get the help it needs. Go to conferences. Learn the business. Study the craft.

You can do this. Keep writing. Keep improving. Keep moving forward.

And when you are rejected, watch Bambi. Lie on the couch. Moan a while.

Then be grateful. Your life is not as bad as his.

After all, he never got that step-mother.

****

B.J. Hamrick is a journalist, newspaper columnist, and Real Teen Faith editor-est.

4 comments:

  1. Good thoughts! Today is definitely a couch day for me . . . at least mentally.
    ~Bethany L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a lifelong pessimist (though I prefer the term "realist") who tries but never quite succeeds to be an optimist, I can totally relate. Great post, BJ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany - I posted this yesterday because I had about one week of couch days recently. :) We are allowed that every so often... Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    Christiana - Haha, yeah, I understand realism. Good thing optimism can be cultivated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I be an optimist who just worries all the time? :) Poor Bambi. I agree with you, BJ. Bad movie choice. Don't watch Fox and the Hound either. I used to sob at that one.

    ReplyDelete