Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Empty words...



As Christian writers, I believe we have a pretty heavy-duty responsibility on our shoulders. This responsibility is a gift and a burden. It's the choice we make, the choice to use the words God gives us to show the world His grace. His mercy. His love. The world is dark, and our novels are a light. Some books feel more like pinpricks in the dark than a bright, light-house worthy beacon, but nevertheless, light is light. Light always brightens the dark, no matter how small in quantity.



Have you heard the song by Addison Road called "What Do I Know of Holy?" I blare it loudly in my car almost every day, and no matter how often I play it, the meaning grabs my heart every time and I usually tear up. (not good for interstate driving!) There's one line that really gets me.



Here's a blurb of lyrics...I bolded the line I'm talking about. Please find this song online and download it if you haven't heard it yet.




(CHORUS)



What do I know of You

Who spoke me into motion?

Where have I even stood

But the shore along Your ocean?

Are You fire? Are You fury?

Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?

What do I know? What do I know of Holy?



(VERSE)



I guess I thought that I had figured You out

I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about

How You were mighty to save

Those were only empty words on a page

Then I caught a glimpse of who You might be

The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees



WOW!



Empty words on a page. The Bible is the living, breathing word of God. It's not empty. But I know what the artist means here - it's all in how she translated it, how she comprehended. Only reading the words doesn't make them effective. It's got to be a process of soaking in. When she really read the words, they changed. When she really heard the heartbeat of God behind the words, SHE changed.



I can't get over that, and how it applies to us as every day Christian writers. Have you stopped lately and really considered the responsibility and the honor we have to write for Christ? Have you thought about what our words, the words God gives us, means to our readers? The power in them, through Christ alone, to change lives and bring souls to Jesus? We get to have a part in that. Do you have any idea how huge that is???



If you haven't thought about those things lately, then stop. Put down your WIP. Shove the keyboard or notepad away, push aside the Diet Coke and Candy Corn, and soak in the depth of it all.



I guarantee you you'll hit your knees.

6 comments:

  1. What a great reminder! It's really an awesome responsibility when you think about it. I, too, feel honored to write for God's glory!
    ~Bethany L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is powerful, Betsy! Thank you so much for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some great, great words. Thank you so much for this, Betsy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I'd never hard that song before. Thank you so much for introducing me to it. You're right, it really hits right to the heart. What a responsibility we have to uphold His honor and truth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I was able to share that guys!! I hope you've found a new favorite like I have. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited to see that you've written about addison road!
    The hail from my area of town and i've been able to hang out with them on a couple of occasions. They are some of the nicest (and craziest) people!

    ReplyDelete