Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Do or Dye


BJ's posted yesterday on eyebrow waxing reminded me that I have a hair appointment tomorrow morning to touch up my hair's roots. It's bad. As in, I'll walk in the door and they'll, like BJ, immediately know why I am there and usher me to the back before the rest of the salon can see and think they somehow were involved in all my rooty glory.

I change hair color like some people change socks. I go back and forth from blonde, to blonde-blonde, to blondish-brown, to brown-brown, and back again like a color wheel out of control. Traditionally, women like to go lighter in the spring/summer and darker in the fall/winter. Well right now I'm blonde, and I'm considering going browner again for the coming season, but...I can't decide. So I started a mass poll of family and friends, asking which color they preferred better, and somehow feeling borderline insulted regardless of their answer.

Its like that with writing.

Sometimes, we have to let the opinions go. We have to take the advice with a smile and gritted teeth and then do what we want to do.

I'm not talking about "rules". Some rules in writing, especially Christian fiction writing, really must be followed to produce a quality project. Readers (and editors!) expect certain things that really can't be bent.

I'm referring to the "other stuff". Like when a friend proof-reads your manuscript and somehow has you doubting your heroine's name, even though you spent hours researching the meaning and making sure it fit her personality perfectly. Or when you spend forever forming a really neat metaphor that you think totally rocks and a crit partner says doesn't work. If you're brand new to writing, get a second opinion and investigate. If you're not, then....DO WHAT YOU WANT. It is YOUR story.

I hear alllll the time of writers growing so frustrated because, in their insecurity, they asked for too many opinions and after implementing all the changes, realized there were too many cooks in the kitchen and the once delicious, bubbling pot of stew now tasted like their favorite leather pump.

Too many opinions can kill a writer's story.

So trust yourself. Trust your instincts. Write YOUR story. Yes, get second opinions. Yes, listen to someone if they tell you that something really jolted them from the flow or if you have a typo or a grammatical error or something else along those lines. But for the parts of the story that make it yours, keep it yours.

I still have no idea what color my hair will be after ten o'clock tomorrow morning. But I do know that I am making the choice =)

9 comments:

  1. Great post, Betsy :) That's something I've slowly had to learn... that although advice, opinions, and suggestions from others are nice at times and you should at least listen, it's your story and you should write it the way YOU want it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have such trouble with this Betsy! I let my mom read what I write and she just has a different perspective than I do..one time I wrote a devo about highlighting my hair and I thought it was really good but didn't think anyone would relate. She wanted me to change about what its like to go to the dentist and I was like no way, who wants to read about that? It really made me question the girliness of my writing.
    I'm sure whatever you'll decide with you hair will be great! I've really been debating over the whole growing my bangs out thing, sometimes we need a change but I know I look better with bangs than without. SO do I sacrifice looks for change? Or stick with same old same old to be prettier? Hair is such a tough decision

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonya, hair IS a tough decision. lol Glad I am not alone!! And BJ, I totally spent an extra five minutes tweezing my brows today because of you! haha!!!

    Thanks, Erica and Arianna. And Tonya, go with your gut, girl. I've learned that family is one of the voices you really need to learn to politely ignore when it comes to writing. They're either going to go overboard with the advice because they want to vicariously live their story through yours, or they are going to be overly enthusiasic about the piece, because they are your family and feel obligated to praise it. Take it all with salt, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, and amen. Great post. And be sure to post pics of your new 'do.

    PS - So when your husband doesn't recognize you because of the brow swelling, don't mention my name... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this post...yes, I used to be a serial haircolor-changer, too. These days, it's just my natural dark brown with caramel color highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree. Lets take all those extra cooks in the kitchen and send them to the hair salon. :)

    Here's to tough decisions and great hair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an important topic to cover, Betsy, thanks! I've seen too many of my writer friends give up almost before they even started because of an abundance of well-meaning, but confidence destroying critiques.

    I've learned to guard my first draft with my life! If I really get stuck and need a second opinion, I go to one or two trusted friends who I know will be honest, but kind and encouraging all the while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post, Betsy! What color did you decide on? :) I've always been sooo jealous of people who color their hair all the time without fear! Me? I'm getting nervous even thinking about hair color... :)

    ReplyDelete