Friday, October 9, 2009

Currently, I'm on the Opposite of a Roll

Ever have one of those weeks?

You know what I'm talking about right? It starts with the greatest of expectations for your writing on Monday and lands with a thud by the time Friday rolls around.

This was supposed to be the week where I really got my new novel going. I had all sorts of fantastic plans for my characters, ideas for fun scenes, even a few recipes tucked away in the back of my mind for everyone to fail at (yes, I'm going a bit foodie with my next novel...guess all that Food Network watching is going to pay off, huh?).

But thanks to a unexpected run-in with Sniffles McManus (my alter ego with a bad, bad cold)and some last-minute deadlines with my freelance writing clients, well, I didn't get to write a single word. And I'm seriously bummed about this...

I know, I know, I should be making lemonade with those lemons, but it's easy to let discouragement creep in when your great expectations end up being nothing more than simply that, expectations. And so goes the journey of the writer...you're going to have a bad week on occasion. That self-imposed, 2,000-word deadline may not yield any fruit at all.

If anything, though, it makes me more fiercely determined to stay the course. When you're chomping at the bit to get your thoughts down, that's a good, good thing. Sure beats staring at your keyboard for hours on end, that's for sure.

In the meantime, however, I'm going to sulk for just a couple more minutes before I hop in the car and drive an hour-and-a-half to meet my Mom for lunch. We writers have a flair for the dramatic, after all, don't we?

4 comments:

  1. Yes we do!! lol Been there girl. Not for a week at a time but definitely for a day or two. And sickness will definitely through you off. Hard to be motivated to write when you're hacking up a lung or going through tissues like no one's business. Glad you're feeling better and hope you had a good, well-deserved lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been one of those weeks for me too! Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwh thanks everyone. You're the best. :)

    ReplyDelete