Friday, March 28, 2014

Sometimes You Just Have to Write for You

There are times in life that short of the world's most impending deadline, you need to put away whatever you feel like you "should" write and pick up something that you're writing only for you. There are a few possible reasons for this--sometimes you're too stressed and need a break. Sometimes you need to be reminded that writing isn't always "work." Sometimes you just need to be creative.

And sometimes you need to write a story that stirs something inside you, so that God can use it to heal the hurting places deep in your heart. That's where I am right now.

What I meant to be working on in March probably won't be done until mid-April. It's still a story I'm passionate about, but I've put it away for now to write...well, I'm not sure what.

Doesn't that sound weird? I have no idea what this story is about.

I have vague story shadows in my mind, pieces of ideas that I think would come together into a wonderful story if only I could coax them to connect to each other in some way that makes sense.

Right now honestly? I'm not sure I can write the story I'm writing. Maybe I can't finish it. Maybe even if I do no one else will want to read it.

Maybe I'm just supposed to write the first few chapters, just for me. Because I have a feeling that my main character, who is running from her own hurts, has places in her heart that feel like mine does sometimes right now. And I think that if nothing else, God is using her to teach me about myself. And using the power of story to heal.

Because He can use things like that.

But you have to step away from your "plan" sometimes long enough to let Him.

2 comments: