Tuesday, May 21, 2013

15 Minute Speed-Writing


I wouldn't call myself a speed-writer, but it took having a baby with colic for me to learn how to write in 15-minute increments. (She didn't sleep any longer than that.)

And you know what I learned? It's not that difficult to focus for 15 minutes. And it's incredibly beneficial.

It doesn't matter how much you get done in those 15 minutes. It does matter that you sit down and write SOMETHING.

Case in point: it used to take me two hours to write a 500 word newspaper column. I can do the same thing in 20 minutes now. What sped me up? Taking the 15 minutes at a time.

I didn't focus on how many words I cranked out. I just focused on writing for 15 minutes. 

So what about you? Do you have 15 minutes a day? Can you write before breakfast, or over lunch? The more you practice, the faster you'll get--and hopefully, the more concise your writing will become.

Tell us about your writing goals. 

****
 Bekah Martin is the author of The Bare Naked Truth--a book about purity, even though she hates that word! (Find out why next week :)

2 comments:

  1. My goal is 300 words a day, but it's such a wimpy goal. Lol. Like... wimps probably laugh at that "goal." I've never considered setting "time goals." Sounds like a nice new exercise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not a wimpy goal at all, Ashley! That's 1.5 pages... and I literally wrote my first book 2 pages at a time! :)

    ReplyDelete