Monday, February 11, 2013

Odds and Ends

Our dear blog reader, Crystal, mentioned business cards in one of her comments last week and it got me thinking - there are several odds and ends from the business side of being a writer that we haven't ever really talked about here on this blog.

And so tonight, I am going to talk about them. ;) In list form, of course, because a list is really the only thing I can muster after having what was probably 47 toddlers running around my house this morning during play group.

1. Business cards

Get some. Use them. Ideally, you should have your picture and tentative book title on there but even if all you've got is your name, email, phone number and website, that's totally fine. Vistaprint.com is a great place to order business cards for cheap - but beware that they will try to sell you everything under the sun when you are trying to place your order.

"DON'T FORGET TO ADD ON THE PERSONALIZED CHEESE GRATER WITH YOUR BUSINESS CARDS!!!"

Just saying.

2. A blog or website

I think we've mentioned the importance of having a blog but it's also a good idea to go ahead and set up a website. There are TONS (seriously) of tutorials out there that can teach you how to set up a website for basically nothing. Blogger can host your site and give you a blog for free.

Worried about content for your site or blog? Don't be. Figure out who your audience is and write to them. My personal blog started off as a publicity thing for the writing but has become something of a scrapbook for me over the years. I post pictures, I tell stories about day to day things with my son. I love it now. Be real with your readers. Let them see the struggles you are going through.

3. A separate email address

While you are setting up a blog, go ahead and set up a separate email address just for agents and publishers. You have no idea what a huge headache this is saving you. This was a lifesaver when I finally set one up for me. Not only is it way easier to go back and see what emails I still need to reply to, it's also a way to keep all of my business contacts in one place.

And speaking of one place...

4. A folder of some kind

Yes, that is the technical term for it. Get a folder or a binder or something to keep every business card you get from agents or publishers. Make sure you can either write on the back of the card or write beside it and put the following information: date that you met them, what book you proposed, whether they took the proposal with them and what their initial thoughts were. That way, if you get an email months later from an unknown name, you'll know immediately what they are talking about.

5. That's all

I just have a thing against even-numbered lists. Yes, I am prepared for the comments - my sweet special education teacher husband labeled me OCD many years ago. ;)

Have a lovely night, friends!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness. There were so many typos on that first comment that I couldn't make myself leave it there. :/
      Anyway, this was a great post. I'll definitely refer to it again when I actually finish a novel... someday... somehow... *sigh*
      I totally get the list thing, though. My lists have to be in sets of 3, 5, 7, or 10. Any other number irks me. Lol. :)

      Delete
    2. Glad to know I'm not the only one when it comes to the lists! :) And you can do it!! :) Finish that novel!!

      Delete
  2. (The 3, 5, and 10 I'm good with; 7 would bug me. And it's not a real list if it only has 2.)
    But far more important than the number is adding things for the sake of crossing them off (yes, even in the grocery store!).

    I did not add my phone number to these cards - nor my picture. But it's unlikely I will be seeing an agent or editor at this point, and don't want who knows who to call me. However, before making it to a conference I will have new cards with both of those things added. (Good excuse for needing more cards....LOL)

    I really like the notebook idea - I wondered about that.
    But about the separate email - I set one up assicated with my blog/site and it's on the business card. That seems logical....but more than just agents and editors will see it. Am I worrying too much? And I'm assuming I should direct comments from my blog elsewhere, correct? Oh this feels tangled up. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Love this. :)

      You are doing fine with just a separate email for your website - no worries at all! It's just way easier to for me to have everything separated, which just means I end up with a million different email addresses. :) I have blog comments go to their own email box too, but like I said, it's all just preference. Whatever works for you is what you should do!!

      :)

      Delete