Monday, August 29, 2011

So, what's your book about?


It's my LEAST favorite question in the world, honestly. I'll be standing there, minding my own business, and somehow, someone finds out that I'm an author. And then, they inevitably ask the number one question that all authors will field:

"So. What's your book about?"

Want to hear my typical response?

"Well, it's about this girl. Actually, she's more of a younger woman, because, you know, I wanted the age to appeal to both teens and women and so I decided to make her like a twenty-something. And, uh, she's really into artsy stuff. So then, she like, uh..."

Ugh.

If you have ever gone to a writer's conference - and you should know by now that we Scribble Chicks really encourage writing conferences!! - you have heard all about the elevator speech and how you should be able to give a thirty-second rundown of your book, preferably without using the words "uh" or "um".

Confession time, y'all. I am THE WORST at the elevator speech in the whole history of the WORLD.

By the time I finish telling someone about my book, I can see them out of the corner of my eye pulling their library cards out of their wallets and taking scissors to them, swearing that they will never read another book in their life.

It's enough to make me grip the sides of my laptop and promise that I will never leave my desk or home ever again. All of my promotional work on my books will just have to take place behind my computer screen so that I can edit out all of my uhhhs and hmmms. I love to write, but I am the worst at promoting it.

Anyone with me?

Oh, did I mention? I've got an interview tomorrow with a local TV station about my newest novel, Sketchy Behavior.

On TV. Without my laptop. Outside of my house.

Please be praying for me. I get very nervous before ANY type of interview, but at least with radio/phone interviews, I can pace the house and make the people listening believe that I'm just calmly sitting in a chair, drinking a mocha and painting my toenails. Not so with TV interviews. With those, I have to look calm as well as act calm.

No pacing allowed.

The pacing might just detract from what I'm there to talk about.

Because, honestly? The writing is not about me. The book is not about me. When all is said and done, the book is totally for, completely wrapped around, tightly tied up in Christ. All I do for a living is write silly stories to convey the love of Jesus to whomever might be picking up my novel.

And that's what my book is about.

5 comments:

  1. Sending prayers your way! Good luck
    I was actually thinking about this very thing this morning. My goal is to get to a conference, hoping next year, but definitely one day. I'd feel horrible if I tried to say what I was writing & someone starred at me blankly. But you can't expect everyone to like your book can ya?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thank you friends!!! It went pretty good, I think. I hope! Ha! :)

    Tonya, nope, you can't expect everyone to like your book. Thick skin is necessary in the writing world (figuratively, anyway. I like my lotion too much to try literally. ;) ) Definitely get to a conference if possible! You'll love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! I can definitely relate. I just wanna shove my first chapter at them and go "don't you wanna find out for yourself?"

    Guess I better refine my approach. I imagine the people at the ACFW conference would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erynn, I'm sure you're not the worst. Ask Betsy--I have that position pretty well covered. :-) Glad the interview went well!

    ReplyDelete