Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bookmark This: True Confessions of a Living, Breathing Editor

One of the best things about writing a novel (you know, besides the obvious) is the privilege of working with your developmental editor. :)

Sure, at first, it's a bit daunting as he/she (in my case, she) tries to poke holes in your plot, challenges you to rethink the scene that you thought was absolute perfection, asks you to change the name of a character that you got really attached to, etc. But as you go through the process, you notice that somehow, some way, these suggestions helped make your work so much stronger.

I had one of those fantastic editors, and her name is Jamie Chavez. Not only did I feel like she really got my style of writing, but we shared a mutual love of LOST, a sarcastic sense of humor and a previous hometown of mine, namely, the Nashville, Tenn., area.

So naturally, when I saw that she finally started a blog, I was downright thrilled, and I know you will be to. Not only does she have great behind-the-scenes information on how to succeed in writing novels, but she has encouraging posts like the one that's currently on the top of her page. Even though I've been writing for a living for a while now, I was so encouraged by the post about doing what I love (and how they money will come if you're doing just that).

Good stuff, my fellow Scribble Chicks, good stuff indeed...

1 comment: