Monday, August 23, 2010

If it's not one thing, it's two...


My mom told me that the other day and it's really rang true for me considering the issues I've been having with the whole nursing thing. ;)

But, I started thinking about it beyond my two issues (not to be too TMI here...) and I realized that it's true in my writing as well. If I'm not having a hard time coming up with great, well-rounded characters, then I'm struggling with getting a plot started or finished. If I'm not dealing with a plot that doesn't connect, then I'm having a hard time getting my butt off Facebook (thanks for the pep talk this weekend, CJ!) and onto more productive activities...like finally sending in that proposal.

And then I spend my whole time bemoaning the two things rather than focusing on the one thing that is going well. Non-writing related example - C-section has healed really well, but I never think about that in the wake of my other problems. Are you guys like that? I can talk myself out of sitting down and writing faster than anything else if I'm only focusing on the part of the book/proposal/process that I hate.

Yesterday, I was talking to a lady at church about my two issues and she said something that also stuck with me. "Set extremely small goals," she said. And I realized that too could relate to my writing, especially considering the fact that I haven't touched anything in the last six weeks since Nathan was born. Instead of getting very overwhelmed by thinking I need to finish a proposal by Friday, maybe I'll start by setting a goal to finish one section - or even one paragraph! - of the proposal by Friday.

How about you guys? What is your one and two things? And how are you going to get over the complaining and start setting goals to overcome them?

No comments:

Post a Comment