Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The elusive editor/author relationship...

Last week, a reader asked if we could share what it's like working with editors. Great suggestion! I'm happy to share my experience from working with an editor in the Christian fiction industry. Maybe another Scribble Chick can add to this later or share from a non-fiction side as well.

I had no idea what to expect when my first novel was contracted with Steeple Hill. I didn't know if my editor would become my friend, like my agent had, or would it continue to be strictly professional? Would she email every day, or once a month? What was expected of me in return? Did she want to see pictures of my baby or hear about my personal life, or not?

The answer - all things in moderation.

My editor is not my best friend, and shouldn't be. That relationship fares better when left professional. Not to say we don't care about each other, but I know few if any details of her personal life, and she only knows a little about mine. She's an encourager, but my agent is my real cheerleader. My editor is going to be the one to suggest - even if it's negative at first - how my book could be better. And guess what? That's her job! =) So it works. We email regularly while working on a contract, then communication might slack for awhile as I meet deadlines or am in between books. But she is always there with a fast turn-around time when I have a question or comment and always tries to balance her criticism with encouragement or compliments.

That said, I think I have an ideal relationship with my editor. If we were too close personally, the working aspect wouldn't work as well, and that's what it's all about. I do still send her a Christmas card and the occasional - very, very occasional - picture of my daughter because she does seem to truly enjoy that, but I don't assault her with personal issues on a regular basis. And that would be my advice to you! Vent to your agent. Complain to your agent. Whine to your agent. Celebrate with your agent. Send family photos to your agent (if you have that kind of relationship. SOME agents in the industsry I would imagine would also prefer a more professional relationship, but mine does not) and not to your editor.

Anyone have specific questions?

4 comments:

  1. I would love to know if any of you have suggestions on how to write a novel outline. I never really plan ahead in my novels, but right now I am stuck on chapter three and am considering the outlining process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice, Betsy. Have you ever met your editor in person? How did you find her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christiana - your editor is given to you when you sign a contract with a publishing house. I'm referring to editors in that sense. I've never hired a freelance editor to review my work myself and hope I never have to, though many authors do in order to polish their manuscript that much further before submitting to a House. So in my case, when my agent submitted my manuscript to Steeple Hill, she submitted to an acquisitions editor (an editor whose job is to acquire manuscripts for the publisher) and she is now my go-to editor there. Other people at the House see my work during the process - copy editors, etc. - which are often freelanced by the publisher - not by me.

    I've met another acquisitions editor from my publishing house and the senior editor in person at various conferences, but not my specific one yet. I hope to in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, that's a great suggestion. Maybe a Scribble Chick can cover that in the next few days or next week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete