Monday, February 22, 2010

Conference Time!

I spent the past weekend helping out at the Christian Writers Guild conference in downtown Denver - SO FUN!! My mom came with me and we had a fabulous girls weekend and loved hanging out with the staff of CWG.

This was our NINTH conference with CWG (gosh!!!). So, I hope I was able to help a few of the first-timers who were there! Conferences can be SO intimidating! So, I made a few mental notes for you ScribbleChicks out there who might be getting ready to head to your first conference!

1. Wear comfortable shoes! And maybe more importantly, make sure those shoes are broken in before you go.

2. Bring a couple of copies of your proposal. If you don't have a proposal, bring a few pages of your current work-in-progress as a sample of your writing. CWG's conference lets you sign up for 15-minute appointments with publishers. Even if you aren't hoping to sell something, bringing a sample of your work can allow you to get valuable feedback. Take advantage of those meetings! When else will you get 15 minutes to talk to an editor at a huge publisher?

3. Have courtesy for other writers. Don't push and shove your way through the conference trying to get the best of everything. If you don't get an appointment with the editor you wanted, try to find a time to see them outside of the appointments - but don't be annoying. Remember, first impressions are extremely important!

4. Respect the rules. This goes along with my last point, but it was amazing how many people tried to bend or stretch the rules at this past conference! I probably noticed it more since I was working on the crew instead of attending, but still. First impressions DO count and a publisher is going to notice if you aren't being polite or if you aren't following guidelines. I'm pretty sure most publishers wouldn't be jumping in line to look at a manuscript submitted by a person who couldn't follow directions - how will they know that you'll follow a deadline?

5. Relax and breathe. Conferences are overwhelming, but they don't have to be completely mind-numbing! Take a few deep breaths and gather your nerves - especially before you meet with someone. Also, take advantage of free times to get a much needed break. Go get a coffee and put your feet up for a few minutes. The breather will be so helpful later on that night!

6. Don't waste time. Take breathers, but don't spend the day in your hotel room. Take advantage of the time - meet other authors and try to keep your eyes open for authors in your area and in your genre. Be friendly. Also, talk to the crew (that was me!), because a lot of times, they will have insider insight that the other conferees might not.

7. Bring snacks. Sometimes, hotels serve...well, hotel food. Which may not be something you can or want to eat. Beyond that, they only serve it at meal times. Be sure to bring some trail mix, granola bars or some sort of energy-inducing food with you. You'll be thanking me during that afternoon session when your blood sugar has dropped below the floor!

8. Pack plenty of extra room in your suitcase. Conferences are known for giving out freebies and you'll want to have room to bring them all home!

9. Take ridiculous notes. The sessions only last a few days and so they'll be packing weeks' worth of information into those classes. Bring a notepad or your laptop for extra note-taking room. And be sure to chat with the people in your class. Odds are, they write something similar to you.

10. Have fun! Conferences are some of the most profitable times for writers, but be sure that the I-need-to-take-care-of-business pressure doesn't keep you from having a good time. Relax and enjoy it! Conferences can be inspiring - so let the inspiration flow!

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Erynn :)

8 comments:

  1. I did have a great weekend...I was with you!

    And my only additions are:
    1) Drink plenty of water. You need to stay hydrated to keep your brain running at the same pace as the conference!

    2) There ARE success stories that come from conferences - Erynn being one of them - so if it's at all possible, GO! You'll be glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been too scared to go to any writing conferences, but it does sound worth it. Thanks for the words of advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for these conference tips, Erynn! This is Tessa, by the way. I wasn't able to make it to the CWG conference (obviously), but maybe next year. I'll definitely let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom - great additions! :) Thanks! And thanks for a fabulous weekend! :)

    Gracie - They are SO worth it! Even if you only go to the classes, the lessons you learn and the people you meet are priceless. So take that step!

    Tessa - I hope you are able to make it next year!! :) Hope we are able to meet in person someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas - and perfect timing for me, Erynn. I'm attending my first conference (Blue Ridge Christian Writer's Conf. in NC) in May and if I think about it too much I come close to hyperventilating!! :-)

    What are your thoughts on trying to find a roommate when you don't know anyone else attending? I'm torn. It could be fabulous and I'm an introvert so it would force me out of my comfort zone. Of course, it could also be a disaster!

    Ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree on all counts Erynn...except for the shoe one! HAHA. If you're like me and really fun, uncomfortable, pointy-toed high heeled shoes make you happy and give you confidence, then wear 'em anyway and treat your feet to a spa when you get home ;)But, if you're part of the smarter, function first community, then by all means pack comfortable shoes because you will do a TON of walking and standing. And oh bring cough drops or a non medicated alternative because your throat will likely get sore, just from talking SO MUCH and running on less sleep than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn - that is totally up to you on whether or not you get a roommate! :) I'm a extrovert who likes having downtime, so at every conference I room with my Mom, who also needs her downtime. :) So, we get along well! I think either way, you'll have a fabulous conference! And don't hyperventilate!! You will have a wonderful time and I know you'll meet wonderful people! :) Relax and enjoy it!

    Betsy - you with your pointy heels. :) Love you! Sadly, my feet just can't take it (especially right now with the whole balance side effect!). But I did buy some super cute ballet flats that seemed to work just fine! :) And GREAT tip on the cough drops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you had a nice time, Erynn! I was hoping to be able to attend a writer's conference this year, but it's not going to work out financially. Maybe next year! I've never been, so I'll save your tips for when I do get the opportunity.

    By the way, I saw a beautiful card in the latest issue of Papercrafting magazine that was by a woman named Susan Mangum. I know that's your mother's name... Could they be one and the same? How neat would that be?!

    ReplyDelete