Monday, June 3, 2013

Confessions

MYTH: You can tell you are supposed to be or are a writer because you cannot imagine living life without writing and you don't enjoy the time when you aren't writing.

TRUTH: There are definitely times when I greatly dislike writing. Usually it's when my deadline is creeping up on me and I have gotten myself backed into a wall in my story. There are often times during breaks in deadlines when I really wonder if I have another book in me. Or after I've gotten a contract when I stare at a blank Word document and I can't for the life of me figure out a good opening scene.


MYTH: Once your book gets published, you immediately get sent on a multi-city book tour and become a millionaire.

TRUTH: There's lots of truth to the words "starving writer". Very, very, very, very, very few authors sell so many books that they can live comfortably on that salary. And unless you are one of those authors, you likely will not be going on a multi-city book tour unless you plan and pay for it yourself.


MYTH: If I can just come up with a good idea, I can get my book published.

TRUTH: Not necessarily. Most first-time authors these days need to have a completed manuscript to show the publisher before any contract is even in place. And once you have written the book, then you'll need to either get an agent to represent you or meet with a publisher at a conference to get it even into their hands. And then, once it's in their hands, it really comes down to three things: 1) Is it a well-written book? 2) Is the timing right for your book? 3) Can the publisher afford to produce it?


What are some myths you've heard that have turned up false in your writing?


3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm at the not in love with writing stage, wondering if I have another book and I'm not even published.

    A big myth I've found is that the instant you have an idea, you sit down, write, and it all pours out.

    Also that writing is easy and only takes one draft. Idea. Write. Immediately sell. Hardly.,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the most common myth is probably the first one. Haha. I think you and Tonya hit them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, wait, wait. You're telling me I'm NOT going to become a millionaire and go on a worldwide book tour?

    I quit.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete