Monday, October 15, 2012

Doodles

You know what's missing now that all of us are writing on computers now?

Doodling.

Sometimes, that was the fastest way I could get the brain cells moving again in the middle of a long stretch of writing. Nowadays, I have to revert to Facebook or hot tea and chocolate.

It's not ever as fast at revving my brain, so now I'm also slower at writing, know too much about some people online and I'm gaining weight. ;)

Sometimes the best thing we can do for our writing is to take a break from it. Draw a picture, learn to crochet, take a walk or vacuum the house. Or go to a wedding and dance until your feet are numb like I did this last weekend.

The important thing is to make sure you come back to it. Which is why I'm going to pour myself another cup of spiced tea (aka sugar in hot form), grab a box of Trader Joe's dark chocolate mints and start writing.

Unless I can't get "Don't Want to Close My Eyes" out of brain and then I guess I'll have to just forget about it and wait for my son to wake up so we can dance around the living room again. ;)

Happy writing!!

2 comments:

  1. Music is my big brain-mover. And coffee. (Which, by the way, can help with the whole weight thing.) Dark chocolate mints - I should grab a stash for "writer's block"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that clicking from my work to fb to email to nothingness and back...even if I'm not paying attention to it. Must be digital doodling. :P

    (But I prefer Trader Joe's dark chocolate covered pretzels personally.)

    ReplyDelete