Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What are you afraid of?

Halloween is looming, and I thought it a fine time to share our greatest fears regarding our writing.


Here's a few answers I polled and gleaned online from various sites...


Some days I fear that I will slave over my novel and finally (oh, finally!) finish it, only to find that it is horrible and no one will publish it and even my friends and family hate it.


I fear that I will never finish my novel at all. That life, children, and work will coalesce until I become so busy that it just sits on my computer unfinished. And then I'd wonder...


My biggest writing fear is that someday, somehow, I suddenly stop loving to write.


My greatest fear is that I won't "make it."


My biggest fear is that I'll stop for good.


I fear people won't tell me truly how my writing is.


I think my biggest writing fear is that my stories are too weird, too unrealistic and out there.


What are you afraid of?
The good news is, on Halloween and every other day of the year, even on our most insecure, self-doubting days, God's word is still truth.

Consider Psalm 56:3 "What time I am afraid, I will trust in Thee." and 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, of love, and of a sound mind."

Kick those fears to the curb! Come out from under the covers, boot up that computer, sharpen that pencil, and get to writing. Fight back against the darkness by writing in the light - the light of God's grace and glory.

1 comment:

  1. I get scared of things like that too. The other day I heard a talk by Elizabeth George and she pointed out that the Bible uses the phrase "do not fear" 365 times! Isn't that awesome

    ReplyDelete