Tuesday, November 20, 2012

How to Make it Happen



 Guys. I love this kid. I really do. But I think feeding her FROM MY OWN BODY for nine months was enough.

She disagrees.

She now wants to eat from my plate. Despite the fact she rejected the same food on her plate five minutes ago. So that by the time I’m done “eating”, I’m barely surviving on what I call the Mommy Diet. She’s had 15 bites and I’ve had two.

We’ve had to establish some boundaries. For starters, I try to trick her into eating all my vegetables. Also, if it’s chocolate—she can forget about it.

I tell you this to make a point: You only have so much food on your plate. I only have so much food on my plate. When we give too much away, we end up malnourished. Even when we give it away for a cute cause.

Time is food. If we’re called to this writing thing, we need to monitor how much we’re giving away. Are we obsessing that every closet be clean? Are we still scrubbing the bathrooms every day? Are we working out at the gym for three hours?

What’s your vice? It might be “good” on the outside… but are you feeling malnourished on the inside?

What do you need to scale back on so your writing dream can grow healthy and strong?

***

Bekah Hamrick Martin writes about What You Missed in Sex Ed on her blog, The Bare Naked Truth. She also writes about purity, God's Way, in her book, The Bare Naked Truth: Dating, Waiting & God's Purity Plan.

3 comments:

  1. That's a pretty cute picture...it's funny how they operate;-) We end up sharing almost everything at our house...current favorite bananas! I like the transition to time & writing, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute post! One thing I avoid when attempting to write is Pinterest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear self:
    Please re-read this and take every word to heart because it's absolutely, stinkin true and I need to get it through my thick skull.
    Thanks,
    Abbie

    ReplyDelete