Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Value in Being Your Own Audiobook

As much as I love my current work in progress, there are days when I get stuck. With a capital s.

While I'm sure the idea I'm working on is pure genius, something about just seems a little bit off. So like any writer worth her salt, I agonize. I micro-edit. I move a comma here, I change an adjective there, and then it hits me...

It's still all wrong.

So in these situations, what I've found that helps immensely is being my own audiobook. Or to put it another way, I close my office door (even though nobody is home, why I do this is a giant mystery to me, too), channel my inner Morgan Freeman and start reading my manuscript.

OUT LOUD.

And the funny thing is, about 99% of the time, I can identify immediately what's missing, what needs to be fixed and what lines need to be chucked altogether.

Just thought I'd pass that along...in case it helps. And if it doesn't, well, at least the picture on my post is cute, right? Ha ha.

Have a great weekend and happy writing,
Christa

P.S. In response to Betsy's post yesterday, my "element" is Barnes & Noble, too, especially when someone is having a juicy conversation. I don't know why, but having all those books around me is always so inspiring.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to try that, i am majorly stuck!
    I think I have a good idea but I'm still stuck. I think i need a better understanding of my antagnosist motivation. At least that what I'm working on now.

    I'm glad you love your WIP though, can't wait till its out in stores :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thanks, Tonya and good luck figuring out your story!!! Hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete