Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Greatest Gift You Can Give

I wandered through Wal-Mart today (which I recently heard referred to accurately as He@^ Mart), feeling dazed and confused in the chaos.

Suddenly there was a familiar face.

"I just heard the good news." The semi-stranger from church hugged me. "We're so excited for you!"

 I wanna say right now -- I couldn't explain the reaction that came over me. Tears welled up in my eyes as I choked out the words, "Thank you".


Don't knock it. I'm pregnant. Emotions come unexpectedly.

But it meant a lot to me to see the genuine joy in this woman's eyes, celebrating with us. We've lived here for three years, but we still feel the ache of the miles between us and our families.

Here was someone today... rejoicing with us. The greatest baby-gift I've received.

And it made me wonder... who's waiting for that gift?

Who can I encourage with my words?

As writers, I think it's a special gift God has given us... the gift of encouragement.

Who will you speak that to today?

****
B.J. Hamrick writes for you and for teens at www.realteenfaith.com.

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet, BJ! I can't wait to see pics of your precious baby girl! :)

    ReplyDelete