Monday, April 12, 2010

Pushing Through!

I have reached that point in my deadline where it's totally coming down to making myself sit down and write. No more waiting for inspiration to kick in, no more relying on sugar highs, no more claiming I'm tired and I need a nap instead.

Nope. I have to write.

Sometimes it's a real bummer. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE what I do, but there are days where I really just do not want to write. I don't want to force something that I'd rather wait to come naturally.

Ever have days like those? Days when you know that you need to be writing and you just don't even want to go there? You turn on your computer and go to Facebook instead of Word? And how do you finally get the strength to log out of your account and pull up your work in progress?

For me, setting small goals seems to work fairly well. Every day, I have to get 2,000 words in my current story before I can quit for the day. I know it's not much, but it does add up. In five days, I've got 10,000 words. That's seven weeks then for a full-length novel.

Do I always reach that word count every day? No, not always. Some days are crazy busy with other things (especially now that I'm in my third trimester - hello doctor visits!), but most days I manage to make it to 1,000 words, if not my word count goal.

I know I've talked a lot lately about forcing creativity, but it's a skill that I wish I'd learned better before I started having deadlines.

SO - do you guys set word count goals? And if so, what do you aim for everyday? :)

3 comments:

  1. My goal right now is 1,000 words a day. Between an almost 2-year-old and a full time job, it's a good amount for me. I write romance, which means my word count for a completed book is about 50,000 words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is my first time chmming in, but i love this blog! i was wondering if you chicks could post some about the differences between genres? you know, romance, womans fiction, chick lit, crossover and so on. is there a specific crossover market?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try for 2000, too. It doesn't always happen. I seem to surf the web or watch TV. Sigh. However, I know if I force my writing I toss it anyway. But, I'm sure it's different with a deadline.

    ReplyDelete