Friday, April 23, 2010

The Freelance Life...a Post for Tonya and Anyone Else Who's Wondered What It's Like...


First off, I apologize for this post's late arrival. I just got back from five days in Nashville for Gospel Music Week and the Dove Awards, and well, time to actually write was in very short supply.

While there wasn't nearly as much going on as usual artist-wise in Viva NashVegas (yep, the sad state of the music biz has reared its ugly head), I still managed to pack as many appointments as humanly possibly into my schedule—and I'm still recovering.

And really, that's the perfect segue for this week's topic—the life of a freelancer, a post I'm dedicating to Tonya, who asked what it's actually like in the comments section. As you probably suspected, no two days are exactly alike.

Take today, for instance. After writing this post, I'll be walking from Borders to the local AMC Theater to screen J. Lo's umpteenth romantic comedy for one of my clients, Crosswalk.com.

Then right after the credits have rolled, I'll head over to Panera, grab some lunch and while chowing down on soup and half of a panini, I'll write 800ish words on how amazing (or stinky, which I'm thinking will be the case here) the flick was and submit it to my editor for approval. After getting the green light from the illustrious Laura, she'll post it on Crosswalk, and I'll post a link on my Facebook page.

Not too bad for a work day, huh?

But as you also probably suspected, a freelancer can't live (and actually pay those bills) on reviewing movies alone. So that's why I write for as many clients as possible. After working in the magazine biz for five and a half years in Nashville, I finally had enough contacts (and trust me, contacts are key for success in freelancing no matter how outstanding your writing skills are) to venture out on my own. And now for four and a half years, I've been doing the self-employment thing and really lovin' it.

Contrary to popular belief, however, it's not the easy-breezy life that people automatically assume whenever they ask what you do for a living. To be successful and actually make a living as a freelance writer, you're working 'round the clock. And yes, sometimes you'll be working in your pajamas, which is a nice perk. Truth be told, I'm only doing that if I'm sick or haven't had enough time to actually shower and get dressed.

See, unlike my magazine days, I'm the entire company now: the receptionist, the accountant, the HR department and the worker. I guess for all practical purposes, I'm the C.E.O., too. Now that has a nice ring doesn't it? C.E.O. of Will and Christa Publishing, Christa Banister.

Basically, I'm responsible for everything from making sure my pesky taxes get paid, to prospecting for new clients and invoicing my old ones, working with the local colleges' internship programs and scheduling all my interviews and meetings. Oh yeah, and I create stylish copy on a deadline, too.

Of course, that's not even taking the whole author side of my career into account...

But I've always been a firm believer that we make time for the things that really matter to us. As crazy busy as it is, I absolutely love the variety that the freelance life provides. One day, I'll be visiting a movie set in Los Angeles. Another day, I'll be reviewing the new Death Cab for Cutie record. And later on, maybe I'll even squeeze in another chapter of my latest W.I.P or write a personal biography for an artist I really love.

That sort of freedom to write about so many things is why I'm willing to juggle such a crazy schedule. And for anyone wondering exactly what it takes to make it all work, well, I have a few thoughts.

1. A freelance writer must be a self-starter and self-motivated.
I'll admit, there are days when I'm not nearly as motivated as others, and I end up watching my favorite chefs on the Food Network instead of writing (gasp!). But that's definitely not the norm. Some people really thrive when they know a boss is watching over their shoulder. When you're a freelancer, however, you're the boss, and making your editors happy is your responsibility alone.
So if you want to keep getting assignments (and those previous paychecks), you simply gotta sit your booty down and do the work (even when you don't feel like it).

2. Network, network, network!
When I was in college and taking a freelance writing class, I was introduced to the freelance writing bible, The Writer's Market. And while it's definitely a decent resource for getting your first few assignments, your best tool for getting gigs is good ol' fashioned networking. The people who know someone on the inside are the people who get the great assignments. So it's imperative to get connected with people in your chosen industry...

3. Remember the "networking" in social networking.
Let's face it: Facebook, Twitter and the like are pretty great time-wasters. But when you're not playing Lexulous, it's a great way to showcase your work and meet fellow writers/editors with connections. So make sure you make the most of these opportunities without being obnoxious, and it'll go a long way to help your career.

4. Write what you know.
This is one of the best, time-honored truths that any writer should always remember and absolutely key to success in freelancing. Figure out what you know—and what you don't—and focus on getting gigs that highlight your expertise. Everyone has something worth writing about, and whatever that is can be used to your advantage.

Have other questions related to the freelance life? I'm more than happy to answer them, so feel free to lemme know what's on your mind 'cause I could go on all day. :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Christa!! SO, It's not exactly Beauty and the Briefcase..all wearing cute clothes, hanging out at fashion magazines and skyping with editors? And one article doesn't pay the bills for the month? In "Blessed are the Meddlers" Sydney works for Vogue. Have you ever done a magazine like that?

    ReplyDelete