Monday, April 25, 2011

A fate worse than death

Happy Easter, everyone!! I hope you guys had a great weekend!

This Friday, I'll be speaking at a modesty fashion show in St. Louis and so needless to say, I've been doing some prep work, writing down my bullet points for the talk, figuring out what I'm going to wear (I think it's a valid concern considering it's a FASHION show), and doing a little bit of um, worrying.

Because you know what they say. More people fear public speaking than they fear death.

Which never sounded quite right to me, but oh well.

Actually, I'm very much looking forward to it. It's going to be primarily teen girls there and I love, love, LOVE talking to teen girls.

However, I've got to tell you that when I first decided I wanted to try and be a writer, I never in my life thought that the title of Public Speaker went with that. I like writing. I love to hole up in my office, sit at my desk with a hot cup of coffee next to me - and maybe a few chocolates - and spend the day writing away.

But speaking in front of large groups of people? Kind of intimidating.

This isn't the first time I've done a talk and my prayer is that it won't be my last. Writing, speaking - it's all connected by communication and the one thing I want to communicate is that Christ loves you.

Whether that's with my laptop or with a microphone.

How about you? Are you ready for the double duty as a writer and a speaker?

4 comments:

  1. Probably not,I'm still trying to get writing down!
    When you guys began did you kind of feel like you were floundering in knowing what genre, age group, & actually writing? I don't understand how I'm always thinking I want to be a writer & wouldn't this or that make a great story. Then I have an opportunity to write and panic being unable to write, gosh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the feeling, definitely. I struggled in the beginning too. I would suggest though not worrying too much about genre, age group, etc. What is the story that you simply MUST WRITE? What kind of stories do you like to read? Then go from there. I can easily get myself all worked up worrying over my audience, genre, etc. But if I look inward (and listen to the Lord's still small voice), often I'll find the story I'm supposed to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops! That above post was supposed to be from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erynn, how fun! You will do great. I too was really shy about public speaking at first. I never even took a speech class in high school or college. I somehow avoided it! lol Just the though to holding a microphone makes my hands shake. The first time I was asked to speak several years ago, I honestly thought I would have a full blown panic attack in the days and hours before. It consumed me. But I survived it, and the next time someone asked, I did it again. And again. And again. Church women's groups, sunday school classes, small groups, large audiences, writer's meetings, conferences, etc. Whatever it took. Sometimes I got paid, sometimes I did it for free, and sometimes I was given a beautiful gift basket as token. It all was part of my journey. Now, instead of getting nervous before I take the mic, I get excited! God has brought me a LONG way and now I love teaching or speaking. I still have doubts sometimes and I still get flustered at times but I actually look foward to it. If you had told me that would be the case 5 years ago I'd have laughed in your face! :) God can do anything through us if we're willing.

    ReplyDelete